We have an exciting opportunity for a creative and self-motivated Public Relations Officer to join the Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ (Yuuthlu-ilth-aht) Government in Ucluelet, British Columbia.
In this role, you will develop communications and use a variety of media channels to build and sustain positive relationships between the Government, its citizens, and the general public. To do this, you will be responsible for developing the Government's communications plans, including planned publicity campaigns and other PR activities, and will comfortable respond quickly and effectively to change.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, this relatively autonomous role will see you:
- Coordinate the development, implementation and review of the Government's internal and external communication and marketing plans, including PR strategies, goals, and objectives
- Develop and distribute audience-specific content (internal and external) for various media, as well as the Government's website, newspaper/newsletter and social media channels
- Develop communications designed to inform citizens, operating entities, other First Nations and the general public about Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ Government initiatives, including press releases, briefs, speeches, presentations, audio-visual material, etc
- Act as the Editor of the Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ newspaper and maintain the Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ website
- Brief personnel and/or participate in interviews and news conferences
- Assist with event coordination, prepare brochures, displays, and other marketing/PR materials
- Coordinate with photographers, designers, and printers, when required
- Develop, administer and communicate the Government's PR policies and procedures
- Develop and administer the PR financial plan and budget (in consultation with the CFO)
- Provide reports and advice to the Executive and personnel on PR matters
- Evaluate PR strategies and facilitate meetings of interest groups and committees, as required
- Develop and maintain a record/inventory of all PR files and collateral
- Keep abreast of all Yuułuʔiłʔatḥ Department, Program and Government activities
- Perform other duties, as required
For this role, we are seeking an experienced Public Relations professional with proven ability to plan and coordinate multiple PR/communications projects.
Our ideal candidate will have a degree or diploma in communications, public relations or a relevant discipline and demonstrate 2-5 years of experience in a similar role, preferably with a First Nations Government, organization or community.
Proficiency with computers and technology is essential, including the MS Office Suite, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and other related applications. Most importantly, you will be a superior communicator with top-notch research and time management skills. You will have an eagle eye for detail and will be comfortable responding to shifting priorities and change.
You will excel in this role if you are innovative, creative and driven to build a strong and united community through well-crafted and timely communications. Reputation is important and you will also have the political savvy to represent the Government in a positive and engaging manner. Of course, previous experience with budgets and financial systems will also serve you well in this role.
Due to the nature and location of this role, a valid driver's license is required, as is the ability to travel (within BC).
The successful candidate will be rewarded with a competitive remuneration package that is negotiable based on your experience, skills, and qualifications. In addition to your salary, you can also expect to receive a comprehensive benefits package, including comprehensive health benefits, pension plan, relocation assistance and available housing.