In operation since 1953, the 1,150 kilometre Trans Mountain Pipeline runs from Strathcona County, Alberta to Burnaby, British Columbia. In 2012, Kinder Morgan Canada announced it would proceed with its proposed plans to expand the existing Trans Mountain system following strong commitments from its commercial customers. Conversations and extensive engagement is underway to gather input and seek feedback from stakeholders in the months leading up to filing a facilities application with the National Energy Board in late 2013.
The Coordinator, Public Relations will be part of the Stakeholder Engagement and Communications team and will be the interface with the general public and the project team as it relates to the Trans Mountain Expansion Project. The role will have primary responsibility for managing and responding to the daily phone calls and emails from the public and broader community. There will be occasions where the successful applicant will be asked to attend public outreach events, including workshops and open houses, which will require access to a vehicle and potentially some evening or weekend work. The role will also have responsibility for contributing to key messaging and website/blog content development. This role also supports social media efforts by providing approved information for public responses.
This is an evolving position and responsibilities may change over time.
- Daily monitoring of public email inbox and phone line.
- Provide responses to general questions through phone and email with approved messaging.
- Develop and maintain messaging/responses for the info@ email address and project telephone line.
- Respond to public inquiries through online Q&A and work closely with digital team to ensure consistent messaging and timely response.
- Assist in developing communications plan.
- Assist and participate in key public outreach events including workshops, open houses etc. as necessary.
- Manage stakeholder lists and coordinate e-blast communications.
- Research and prepare draft responses to assist with follow up responses to commitments made through engagement activities.
- Assist overall Stakeholder Engagement & Communications team where necessary including research, communications drafts, key messages, materials development etc.
- Writing and posting content for the website.
- Media relations and social media support.
- Managing promotional items, including keeping track of inventory and ordering new items.
- The position requires a specialized post-secondary diploma or undergraduate degree in communications, marketing or related discipline.
- Previous experience working in a fast-paced, multi-level, project-based communications environment with emphasis on tight timelines and delivery.
- Previous experience working in public/community relations.
- Previous experience working in customer service and or dealing with detailed questions.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Strong organization and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge of computers, including MS Office, Outlook – experience with social media an asset.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work closely and co-operatively with internal members of project team.
- Prior experience using a Content Management System an asset.