TRIUMF is Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business. TRIUMF is as diverse in our areas of expertise, people, and cultures, as we are in our career opportunities, and we are constantly seeking dynamic team players who thrive on creativity, excellence in service, and a busy environment.
Does the idea of engaging and inspiring a broad range of audiences as you spark curiosity and connect science with society attract you? Join the TRIUMF family and make your contribution!
Currently we are looking for an outstanding communicator and educator who will fill the role of Public Engagement Specialist working within our Strategic Communications Team. This team is committed to enabling TRIUMF to effectively fulfill its mission by:
- Creating and implementing integrated communications strategies and campaigns
- Ensuring an understanding and alignment of our vision and priorities, both internally and externally
- Building and fostering strong relationships and managing TRIUMF’s brand
- Sharing the TRIUMF story and the wonder of research, discovery, and innovation
You will be responsible for the development, implementation, and smooth delivery of TRIUMF’s public engagement and educational outreach initiatives which involve a mix of regional and national level efforts. You will be expected to make significant contributions in demonstrating TRIUMF’s relevance to a diverse range of stakeholders, primarily by engaging and inspiring them with the adventure of science, discovery, and innovation.
If you are naturally curious about the world – including the people and events that motivate change, and about TRIUMF’s role in helping shape a better future – then you will want to explore this opportunity. Here is just a small sample of responsibilities that will accompany your primary focus:
- Working with colleagues, assessing the laboratory’s existing public engagement and outreach initiatives to inform the development of a strategic plan for this portfolio
- Going from initial concept to evaluation, developing and implementing an integrated portfolio of public engagement and educational outreach initiatives. These will involve a blend of regional and national efforts and will target a range of audiences including the general public and K-12 teachers and students.
- Identifying strategic opportunities and cultivating relations with relevant community partners, member university colleagues, science-promotion agencies, and educational institutions and working with them to implement public engagement and educational outreach programs and activities.
- Managing the TRIUMF tours program and conducting tours for public and private groups as needed.
- Overseeing the TRIUMF Ambassador Program and providing ambassadors with training for tours and other public engagement and outreach activities.
- Working with scientific and technical experts to ensure accuracy of public engagement and educational outreach content and materials.
To deliver successful results, you will need a wide range of practical, organizational, creative, cooperative, and effective interpersonal skills. During an interview with our hiring committee, you will be asked to elaborate on how your own personal skills, training, experience, and abilities match the following position requirements:
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, especially with technical and/or scientific material.
- The ability to grasp and apply nuance, adapt styles, as well as translate complex concepts and make relevant connections for a range of audiences.
- Proven experience with project management and delivering on key milestones tied to timelines and resources.
- The ability to work collaboratively with a broad range of colleagues and build effective working relationships.
- The capability to connect TRIUMF’s range of activities to pedagogy. Knowledge of BC K-12 science and technology-related curriculum is an advantage.
- Proficient with basic digital technologies and software (e.g., Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Drupal, Hootsuite, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.).
Educational qualifications include either a BE degree from an accredited university with an undergraduate science (strong preference for Physics or Chemistry) or engineering degree and 3+ years of experience in education, outreach, and/or science communications; OR a graduate degree in science (strong preference for Physics or Chemistry) or engineering and 3+ years of experience in education, outreach, and/or science communications. French as a second language will be considered an asset.