An exciting opportunity exists for a Promotion and Event Specialist at our Victoria office. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Marketing & Community Investment, this position is responsible for assisting with the development and execution of all Island Savings Promotion, Event and Community Sponsorship initiatives in Island Savings’ trading areas from Victoria to Nanaimo and on Salt Spring Island.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Remarkable with a passion for excellence
- Work toward continued invigoration of Island Savings’ corporate sponsorships and events to deliver remarkable branded customer experiences. This includes assisting in the implementation and evaluation of NEW and existing sponsorships/events and managing the complete execution of Island Savings’ on site presence with promos, sponsorships and events.
Energetic and positive
- Ability to engage the public in talk about Island Savings’ role in community, events and sponsorships, encouraging people to get involved.
- Social media savvy and able to provide ‘bits and bites’ of promotional information through Island Savings’ social media channels driving innovative communication to members and non-members.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effortlessly persuade people to consider the Island Savings difference (product/service) and coach your direct reports to achieve the same success.
Team-oriented and organized
- Ability to develop and manage two energetic teams: our Promo Team in Victoria and our Youth Team in Cowichan. Both teams advance the Island Savings brand in different but related ways – the Promo Team will be at more ‘corporate’ community events, while the Youth Team will be at more ‘family’ community events.
- Exceptional scheduling abilities, attention to all logistics and a fail proof on time service delivery to ensure the Island Savings brand experience is highly regarded at all events.
- Ability to problem solve and delegate effectively when scheduled activities change from the original plan.
A strategic thinker
- Participate in idea sessions with the Marketing team to create event plans
- Support the Community Investment Developer in preparing detailed event briefs/tactical plans and co-ordinate all team activity in support of this plan
- Assist in creating and maintaining all community promotional communication documents including status reports, event work back schedules, timelines and critical paths
- Ability to work and liaise with all stakeholders (internal clients and external agencies/suppliers) to execute events
- Work with Community Investment Developer and Manager of Advertising and Production to create, monitor and reconcile event budgets (i.e. source quotes from suppliers, process and code invoices)
- Work with marketing team on key promotional merchandising and promotional premium purchasing and distribution
- Assist in preparation of timely post evaluation: collect pre-determined program metrics
- Maintain and coordinate event and marketing promotion/event calendar
- Develop and implement internal communications to support an engaged community giving culture (e.g. staff stories & photos; champion recognition; etc.)
- A people person and a motivator
- Assist in recruiting Promo and Youth team members.
- Motivate, coach and evaluate Promo and Youth Team members’ performance and provide guidance, training and regular feedback.
- Arrange scheduling, orientation and any promotional information required, including submitting payroll documents.
- Inspire others and act as a role model to your team, ensuring that the team (may also include staff volunteers) are behaving in a way that reflects the Island Savings brand experience.
- Responsible for safety of the team members
College or University Degree (Communications or Marketing preferred)
Valid Class 5 Drivers’ License is required; clean drivers’ abstract (comfort and willingness in pulling the corporate float required)
Your Experience and Skills
Minimum 2 years experience in Community and Corporate Promotions and Events
Minimum 2 years working in a high-performing team environment
- Marketing/Sponsorship and Promotions experience preferred.
- A reputation for creativity, innovation, organization and resourcefulness.
- Some photographic/video skills and ability to organize and take engaging and appropriate pictures for Island Savings PR and employee use.
- Excellent communication skills and written skills.
- Experience engaging audiences through social media.
- Experience with not-profit community groups and agencies would be an asset.
- Sales experience would be considered an asset.
Lastly, you like to work outside the box
You understand that promotions and events are usually outside the normal 9-5 working hours but you love the diversity! This is a year round role with planning generally done weekdays and attending and managing activities often on weekends and evenings.
Flexibility is part of this exciting and fast-paced job and is required. You may work on Saturday or Sunday instead of days during the week. You are also passionate about working outdoors. Most events are primarily held outdoors and sometimes in inclement weather, though tents and other shelter are usually available. You love the adventure of a remarkable outdoor Island Savings community event.