- Working under the general supervision of the Editorial Manager, manages production flow (typesetting through printing and online posting) for approximately 15–20 scholarly journals.
- Maintains journal schedules; monitors performance of outside vendors (typesetters, printers, online hosting services); keeps supervisor updated on progress of ongoing projects.
- Deals with authors, journal editors, freelance designers, typesetters, printers, staff of online hosting services, and in-house personnel in editorial, advertising sales, promotions, and circulation.
- Prepares issue packages for typesetters; checks and/or adjusts image files; collects, inputs, and checks proof corrections; checks final printer-ready PDF files and places ads.
- Prepares transmittal forms for printers; checks hard-copy and/or “soft” electronic printer proofs as necessary; monitors printing schedules and alerts circulation staff; orders and checks Web-ready files, uploads to online hosts, and monitors output.
- Maintains archives for journals.
- Undertakes miscellaneous journal-related production projects (brochures and other promotional materials, bind-in or blow-in order cards, etc.) as assigned.
Education: University graduation.
Experience: Direct production experience, preferably in a scholarly or periodical publishing environment.
Skills: Proficiency in InDesign or similar; PhotoShop; Acrobat Pro; MS Word. Good knowledge of spelling, grammar, style, and usage. Skill in proofreading. Familiarity with e-publishing an asset. Some knowledge of French an asset.
Other: Pro-active problem-solving, flexibility, organizational ability, excellent communication skills, tact and good judgement, grace under pressure, ability to set and meet deadlines, ability to work both independently and cooperatively, ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities