TRIUMF is Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business. TRIUMF is as diverse in our areas of expertise, people, and cultures, as we are in our career opportunities, and we are constantly seeking dynamic team players who thrive on creativity, excellence in service, and a busy environment.
Currently we are recruiting for an Outreach Coordinator to join our Strategic Communications Team. This team is committed to enabling TRIUMF to effectively fulfill its mission by:
- Creating and implementing integrated communications strategies and campaigns
- Ensuring understanding and alignment of the laboratory’s vision and priorities, both internally and externally
- Building and fostering strong relationships and managing TRIUMF’s brand
- Sharing the TRIUMF story and the wonder of research, discovery, and innovation
As Outreach Coordinator you will be responsible for the development, implementation and smooth delivery of TRIUMF’s public engagement and educational outreach initiatives, programs, resources and events geared towards the general public, and K-12 teachers and students, which will involve a mix of regional, and national level efforts. You will be expected to make significant contributions in demonstrating TRIUMF’s relevance to a range of stakeholders, primarily by engaging and inspiring them with the adventure of science, discovery, and innovation.
If you are a first-rate communicator and educator with a professional demeanor and a strong customer service inclination, and if you are naturally curious about the world – including the people and events that motivate change, and about TRIUMF’s role in helping shape a better future – then you will want to explore this opportunity. Here is just a small sample of responsibilities that will accompany and/or support your primary focus:
- Identifying strategic opportunities and cultivating relations with relevant educational institutions (e.g., public school system), community partners, member university colleagues, and science-promotion agencies and working with them to implement public engagement and educational outreach programs and activities that draw on TRIUMF’s strengths.
- Coordinating the TRIUMF ambassador program and providing TRIUMF ambassadors with training for tours and other activities as needed.
- Coordinating the TRIUMF tours program and conducting tours for public and private groups.
- Acquiring appropriate scientific and technical input and sign-off regarding public engagement and educational outreach content and materials.
- Collecting, maintaining, and reporting program data and metrics; developing and implementing new methods and systems to do so more effectively.
- Developing and delivering public engagement and educational outreach initiatives that take advantage of existing and emerging tools and technologies to maximize the impact and reach of TRIUMF’s suite of public engagement and educational outreach resources and programs.
To deliver successful results, you will need a wide range of practical, organizational, creative, cooperative, and effective interpersonal skills. Your work will involve planning, researching, producing, revising, and evaluating programs, initiatives, and materials. If you are an outstanding communicator and are excited and challenged by the prospect of this opportunity, then this may be the career move you are looking for. During an interview with our hiring committee, you will be asked to elaborate on how your own personal skills, training, experience, and abilities match the following position requirements:
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, especially with technical and/or scientific material.
- The ability to grasp and apply nuance, adapt styles, as well as translate complex concepts and make relevant connections for a range of audiences.
- The ability to connect TRIUMF’s range of activities to pedagogy. Preferably knowledge of BC K-12 science and technology-related curriculum.
- The ability to think from the audience perspective, relate to needs and timelines of key contacts, and tailor messages in the best interests of each audience. Ability to work closely and communicate comfortably with diverse audiences internally and externally.
- Proven experience managing projects, delivering on key milestones tied to timelines, working with content experts, and in writing and editing.
- Proven experience in project planning, coordination, and management, with experience developing educational and outreach initiatives and/or resources.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, showing initiative and good judgment, as well as the ability to work cooperatively and be an effective team member.
- An effective problem solver with strong organizational and time management skills.
- The ability to work under pressure, set/balance competing priorities, multi-task and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and discretion in dealing with all inquiries or subject matter
- Familiar with current informal education and outreach tools and trends; and digitally savvy.
- Proficient with basic digital technologies and software (e.g., Microsoft Office, Google Docs, Drupal, Hootsuite, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.).
As our ideal candidate, you will either have a BE degree complimented by an undergraduate science or engineering degree (preferably Physics or Chemistry) and 3+ years of experience in education, outreach, and/or science communications. OR you will have a graduate degree in science (preferably Physics or Chemistry) or engineering and 3+ years experience in education, outreach, and/or science communications. French as a second language will be considered an asset.