Online Web Editor full-time
The Web Editor is responsible for publishing, maintenance, and coordination of web content for the Sauder School of Business website and related online channels. This position creates, edits and publishes content, and collaborates with various departments across the organization to ensure that written and visual content is consistent, fresh and relevant.
The Web Editor ensures that content is posted in a manner that keeps the site timely and current, and that editing and production delivers a site experience that meets internal and external commitments.
The Editor will assist with writing, editing and developing content, and will frequently coordinate with content contributors within other business units to ensure completion of all assigned work and quality of execution.
This position will identify and work to fill site coverage gaps, as well as propose and participate in creation of new content initiatives. Emphasis will be placed on efforts that provide timely content, which enhances and grows overall site usage, pageviews and visits.
Key duties will include the coordination of site content; reviewing and editing design and copy of pages on the Sauder site; providing guidance and communication to internal content contributors; maintenance and implementation of web style guidelines; monitoring and reporting on website content; and coordination of training for content publishers and contributors.
The position resides within the Marketing and Communications department at the Sauder School of Business. The position reports to the Director, Marketing and Communications and works under the directives of the Web Marketing Specialist.
The position liaises and works closely with other members of the Sauder marketing and communications team, with staff in the Learning and Technology Services unit, as well as the various program offices throughout the school. He or she may occasionally liaise with industry contacts and suppliers as needed.
- Partner with team members, subject matter experts (SMEs), content publishers, and other content contributors in the organization to develop content in a collaborative environment. Work with Sauder’s internal content publishers/coordinators to write, develop, edit, design and publish content to the web. (CMS, HTML newsletters, e-blasts, ad banners, blogs, social media etc.)
- Ensures editorial content is written and presented in a format that meets web usability standards and is consistent with Sauder’s information design guidelines, brand image and editorial style. Provides excellent customer service to all levels of users and encourages timeliness and accuracy of web page information and resolution of problems.
- Produces new content for the site and edits material from writers and contributors, and assumes responsibility as the primary content creator for specific “general” school pages. Sources, crops, edits and uploads images and artwork as needed.
- Responsible for daily maintenance of the website; updates content to keep the site current and information accurate, ensuring prompt elimination of any technical/content errors, or content that is out of date or no longer functional. Conducts thorough reviews of text on major facing pages weekly to monitor quality and accuracy (correct spelling, grammar and other details).
- Assists with the implementation of Sauder’s web content strategy and ensures that content contributors adhere to an editorial calendar. Provides assistance with content audits, and creation of schedules and deadlines.
- Assumes point-of-contact tasks and communications in response to content contributors’ questions related to publishing workflows, publication, the CMS and content maintenance. Communicates processes and guidelines to assist and support content contributors across the school.
- Coordinates training sessions and meetings for internal staff on writing for the web and other topics in cooperation with the Web Marketing Specialist as a means of providing support and guidance to Sauder’s internal publishing community.
- Contributes to editorial policies, and is responsible for maintaining Sauder’s web writing and web style guides, based on input and direction from the Web Marketing Specialist, Marketing Manager, and Manager, Public and Media Relations.
- Monitors and generates reports on content quality/quantity, user adoption, and update frequency.
- Develops excellent working relationships with colleagues at all levels across the organization who provide website content, and with members of the Learning and Technology Services department, who maintain the CMS and templates. Liaises with LTS staff to identify and address site maintenance and functionality issues.
- Under the supervision of the Web Marketing Specialist, assists with implementation of search engine optimization, search engine marketing initiatives, web analytics reporting and usability testing as required. Increases website viewership continuously by creating new and useful content and employing good SEO practices.
- Helps implement online surveys to gather feedback from target audiences/ markets, analyzes and reports on user feedback generated from various online sources, and supports the Web Marketing Specialist in conducting usability or variable testing, as the need arises
- Contributes to the revamp and redesign of sauder.ubc.ca. Promotes progress of the Sauder Online project by assisting with various content-related activities when requested. Assists CMS users with content migrations as needed.
- Works closely with the Marketing and Communications team to ensure materials translate seamlessly to the web, and provides support to other web, usability and online marketing initiatives as needed. Keeps up to date with the latest web technologies and applications.
- Performs administrative and maintenance tasks on various social media channels.
- Handles the maintenance, tracking and archiving of electronic templates for internal use and electronic marketing collateral on behalf of the central marketing and communications department.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR/IMPACT OF DECISIONS:
Decision-making is based on a thorough knowledge of the policies and procedures of the Marketing and Communications unit. The incumbent exercises initiative and judgment in establishing priorities and carrying tasks through to completion, and must demonstrate tact and discretion.
The position has dealings with staff, faculty, and students within the school, as well as the business community and external suppliers. Error in the performance of duties or in the exercise of discretion may result in significant damage to the faculty’s reputation.
Reports to the Director, Marketing and Communications. Works under the supervision of the Director, Marketing and Communications and the Web Marketing Specialist. Some guidance may be provided by the Manager, Public Relations and Media.
Works out of the Marketing and Communications office at the Sauder School of Business located at the UBC Point Grey Campus in Vancouver.
- Bachelor level degree or relevant diploma in new media, marketing, journalism, communications or related field.
- Minimum of 4 years of related experience working as a web content coordinator/publisher or in a web editing/production capacity.
- Minimum of 2 years experience working in a capacity using an enterprise-level CMS system; experience posting and managing content online using an enterprise-level CMS (content management system) is essential.
- 3 or more years of work experience as a writer or editor is preferred.
- Knowledge in web content management best practices
- Experience working with digital assets and social media
- Experience and working knowledge in web content publishing and multimedia production.
- Knowledge of search engine optimization and search engine marketing principles.
- Knowledge of browser/platform compatibility issues and accessibility.
- Goodunderstanding of content strategy, usability and information architecture.
- Understanding of web search technologies and web analytics tools.
- Experience working in a large, complex institutional or multi-stakeholder environment is an asset.
- Excellent editorial skills with a sound understanding of writing for the web and engaging online audiences
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent writing, proof-reading and editing skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Solid understanding of visual design aesthetics and graphic standards
- Proficiency with Adobe PhotoShop and Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Proactive, resourceful, and open to learning new skills
- Ability to learn technical skills and apply them to assist end users
- Skilled in web design/production and website maintenancee