The Marketing & Communications Department at the Sauder School of Business at the University of British Columbia are seeking a seasoned Online & Social Media Specialist. This position is a 9-month contract position, based at the Vancouver Point Grey campus.
This position reports to the Manager, Interactive Marketing and the Director, Marketing & Communications, and works closely with other staff within Sauder’s marketing and communications department as needed.
Summary of responsibilities:
- Co-ordinates Sauder’s online and social media presence, and assists in developing online, social media, SEO, brand and communication strategies as needed.
- Liaises with internal and external content creators i.e. faculty, students, alumni, staff, agency/creative firm, and writers, to write, edit and facilitate production of online marketing and communications materials, while working closely with the marketing team to ensure consistency with the brand identity and graphic standards.
- Manages production and uploading of web content, ensuring consistency, optimizing content for search, and ensuring appropriate and relevant linkages and synergy between website sections and our social media channels.
- Responsible for day-to-day execution of online and social media updates. Regularly updates and maintains branded content on social media sites (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn etc.) to keep content current/relevant.
- Maintain accounts across social media platforms by promoting and sharing content, increasing our follower base, engaging our audience, generating dialogue and building relationships.
- Monitor comments and user-generated content. Escalate issues and provide feedback on community happenings.
- Participates in the development of social media relations programs, and engages key influencers.
- Develops metrics and dashboards, and measures ROI for participation in social media sites and for integrating user generated content into branded websites.
- Responsible for miscellaneous online and digital productions, and other duties/ projects as needed.
- Video project planning and co-ordination including creating briefs, defining video messaging, basic storyboarding, coordinating shoots and the edit, archiving, publishing and sharing the videos.
- Responsible for coordinating meetings and briefings to facilitate marketing and communications planning between departments and key stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Digital Media, Marketing, Communications, Journalism, English or related field.
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience in a marketing and communications capacity, preferably online experience.
- 2+ years experience in online and social media content development.
- Strong project management skills and a proven track record in coordinating marketing and communications projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience working within a complex organizational structure; and understanding of the academic and public sector environment is an asset.
- Experience working with external service providers, such as writers, videographers, ad agencies, designers.
- Demonstrated multi-tasking skills; ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Established user in social media websites such as Twitter and Facebook with a demonstrated ability to engage readers. Relevant experience across other social media sites including LinkedIn, blogs, YouTube, Flickr, etc.
- Excellent writing proof-reading and editing skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Should be able to demonstrate editorial judgment and writing ability. Ability to quickly craft short, compelling copy in an authentic voice that resonates with our target audience, driving engagement, link sharing and click-through.
- Time management and problem-solving skills; ability to manage multiple projects and timelines.
- Good experience with HTML, CMS and blog publishing tools (WordPress), Adobe PhotoShop, and Microsoft Office.
- Experience and working knowledge in web content publishing and multimedia production.
- Solid understanding of visual design aesthetics and graphic standards. Experience working with digital assets.
- Conversant in SEO, SEM, SMO, web analytics, web technologies, community, and the concepts of creative/brand.
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms, especially Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube.
- Strong knowledge of social media principles, community building and an understanding of how corporate and user generated content works together. Experience using social media to drive business goals a plus.
- Ability to appropriately adjust writing tone for different communities, and to think of new ways to engage them.
- Demonstrated ability to gather and analyze analytics and social media metrics across various platforms.
- Familiarity with one or more listening platforms e.g., TruPulse, Radian6 is a definite asset.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- A high level of enthusiasm and professionalism.
• Knowledge of video production, editing, formats and best practices in video for the web.
- Video project planning and co-ordination skills including creating briefs, defining video messaging, basic storyboarding, coordinating shoots and the edit.
- Basic video and photography skills would be a plus.