Online Editor contract
Fashion Magazine is looking for a dynamic experienced Associate Online Editor for a 3 month full time freelance contract with exceptional writing and organizational skills. This candidate will work closely with the Online Editor, as well as the entire editorial team at FASHION Magazine to provide smart, entertaining online content for fashionmagazine.com that is both original and repurposed from the print brand.
The associate online editor will also be responsible for engaging and inspiring our online community, ensuring the site is totally up to date, from news to contact details to content from third parties. The online editor is driven by the goal to drive traffic, unique visitors, page views and registered users.
The successful candidate for this position will be able to deal with incredibly tight deadlines, a large stable of freelance writers and multiple overlapping tasks. It is essential that the candidate have a journalism degree or comparable, previous online experience and be tech savvy. Creativity, a critical eye, familiarity with the FASHION brand and a strong ability to work independently are essential for this position.
- Collaborating on an editorial vision for the website with the online editor and executive producer
- Generating web exclusive story ideas; assigning and editing stories.
- Write engaging blog posts, stories and listings.
- Managing blog postings.
- Copyediting and fact-checking.
- Sourcing images, uploading stories to the content management system using HTML; creating slideshows and online polls.
- Update the homepage and pillar pages
- Researching and cropping images for editorial use
- Communicating with magazine editors to ensure brand and voice consistency between print and online platforms
- Assist with the management of the online community
Qualifications and Requirements:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong knowledge of the global and Canadian fashion industry.
- Ability to write concise, accurate copy for web with tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of beauty trends and culture/arts is an asset.
- Firm grasp on copy editing and fact checking.
- Strong understanding of current web trends (social media, content aggregation, etc.).
- Understanding of successful blogging is an asset.
- Experience with Google Analytics and the interpretation of site metrics is an asset.
- Experience in an online magazine environment is an asset.
- Experience as an editor or working within an editorial process is an asset.
- Journalism degree or comparable experience.
- Previous online experience and HTML skills.
- Familiarity with SEO and WordPress knowledge are a must.
- Knowledge of HTML, Photoshop and Indesign.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task, work with multiple teams, and work independently.
- Deadline driven and detail oriented.
- Enjoy a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment