MEDIA SPECIALIST, EXTERNAL & GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS - Competition Number 16-106R
Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) is currently recruiting for a full time permanent Media Specialist to commence employment as soon as possible. This position is located on our Surrey campus, with travel required between campuses from time to time.
The Media Specialist plays a key role in developing and implementing media relations strategies for the university and supporting those through expertise in research, writing and copy editing, media relations, communications. The position also assists in formulating plans, projects and policies undertaken by the department,and performs all duties related to the position.
Reporting to the Manager, Media and Communications, the Media Specialist will provide ongoing media relations duties which include, but are not limited to, research, writing and pitching stories related to the University. This position will establish, encourage and maintain strong business relationships with media outlets and personnel. Utilizing media monitoring software, the Media Specialist is responsible for regularly distributing media releases and related information to media, monitoring feedback, and tracking and analyzing results. The utmost priority for this position will be to coordinate pro-active media campaigns, obtain comprehensive publicity and positive earned media for the University, its programs, students,faculty and alumni, and evaluate results for effectiveness to ensure increased success for future media needs.
If you have the following qualifications we would love to hear from you.
1. Successful completion of a degree or diploma in Journalism, Public Relations or Communications or an equivalent combination of education, experience and training with a proven portfolio.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience writing/editing media collateral such as media releases, media advisories and media pitches, or 2 years’ experience in journalism.
- Recent experience in a journalism or media relations role.
- Experience using media monitoring software to program, send, track, analyze and file media releases.
- Experience using social media and developing ongoing social media campaigns, including audience identification..
- Demonstrated experience and success in leveraging positive media attention for a topic, issue or event.
- Demonstrated advanced writing, editing, and proof-reading skills.
- Ability to prepare key messages for both general and highly targeted audiences.
- Experience writing for a variety of audiences – students, parents, faculty, staff, executive, internal, and external communities as well as government and media.
- Intermediate knowledge in the use of MS Word, Excel), PowerPoint, and Acrobat Pro in a PC environment.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, particularly Photoshop. Knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work with highly confidential and sensitive material.
- Proven ability to evaluate effectiveness of public relations campaigns using appropriate programs, research and financial information.
- Demonstrated ability to establish relationships with local media and knowledge of current public relations, communications and marketing principles, practices and techniques
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work effectively under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated English language proficiency in spelling, grammar, punctuation and writing skills.
- Ability to relate and communicate effectively and in a professional manner with individuals in the University community and external communities. Excellent written and verbal communicative and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated self-starter who seeks challenges as well as proven ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced working environment.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility with minimal supervision and the ability to maintain a high degree of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Proven ability to organize work, multi-task and work to deadlines.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends.