MEDIA AND ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
Reference #: 103109
We’re building change in Brampton.
The urban centre we serve is one of the youngest, fastest growing, most diverse cities in the country. We’re aiming high and thinking big, to position Brampton as an emerging global city of the future.
Leaders in our organization understand success requires passion, creativity and agility.
We value progress over process. We hold each other accountable. We are a team who is engaged, excited and empowered to deliver results for Brampton.
Above all, we care deeply about Brampton, its future and the lives of the people who live here. This is what our employees have to say about working for the City of Brampton.
We are looking for a seasoned public relations professional who understands the rapidly changing communications landscape and can build, maintain, and evolve a crisp, concise narrative that lands with our employees, the people who live and work in Brampton, and our strategic external audiences. You are an innovative and collaborative leader with an unwavering commitment to high employee engagement. You inspire teams and create a working environments that enable employees to perform at their best.
In this role you will…
Work in partnership with our client facing team and stakeholders across the City to develop, maintain, and evolve a strong, concise and compelling overarching narrative for the organization that is authentic to Brampton, resonates with target audiences, and reflects the direction of City Council
- Collaborate with external agencies and partners across the corporation to obtain data on residents and businesses in Brampton and use this data to drive communications and marketing recommendations and campaigns
- Develop standards and guidelines for outgoing media products ensuring quality control and alignment with the City narrative
- Oversee media management solutions to objectively monitor the organization’s image across print, broadcast and digital media and manages associated vendors
- Provide evidence-based recommendations for earned, paid and digital solutions and strategies to reach target audiences and meet business needs of client groups
- Track results of media strategies to support campaigns and communications plans and reports on the results of outputs and outcomes
- Oversee all media relations activities within the organization including building strong, strategic working relationships with members of the media and ensuring timely, accurate and effective responses to incoming inquiries
- Participate in the development of story ideas and oversee pitching and follow-up with target media outlets
- Acts as a primary City spokesperson
- Participates in fulfilling the role of Public Information Officer under the Emergency Management Act
- Oversee systems, strategies and processes to facilitate strong digital and community engagement
- Develop new digital channels and strategies to engage with residents, businesses and other target audiences within and outside of Brampton
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the corporation to achieve corporate goals in a way that respects and honours diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives
We are looking for…
A collaborative leader who can build strong cross-team interpersonal relationships with good follow-through
- An excellent mentor with the ability to motivate, teach, and bring out the best in a team
- Senior level public relations expertise and demonstrated ability to lead a professional team that recommends and executes media campaigns in a real-time environment
- Proven ability to provide strategic direction related to earned media, paid media, digital media and community engagement
- Ability to build effective working relationships with members of the media, including but not limited to print and digital outlets, broadcast media, blogs and influencers
- Experience as a change agent who helps organizations adapt to a changing media and information landscape, including the effective use of current and emerging digital channels
- Past experience as an official spokesperson for a large organization in a fast-paced environment
- Experience designing and leading successful engagement and marketing campaigns
- In-depth knowledge and experience in communications industry, and a strong commitment to the use of evidence in the development, implementation and evaluation of communications strategies
- Understanding of the organizational and political dynamics of municipal governments
- University degree or college diploma in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or similar program(s), or a combination of similar industry recognized certifications
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $112,329 annually; midpoint $126,370 annually
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.