GLOBE Series is a dynamic, growth-oriented entrepreneurial company based in Vancouver serving an international community of business professionals with industry conferences and related activities focused on sustainability and environmental business opportunities (www.globeseries.com). The GLOBE event series was established in 1990, and has evolved into the preeminent forum for sustainability-related professionals. Each of the iconic GLOBE conferences attracts thousands of thought-leaders from more than 50 countries every two years to Vancouver. As such, it is the largest and longest-running environmental business conference in the world, convening senior level executives from corporations of every sector, as well as top government policy and regulators, environmental technology and service providers, influential NGOs, financiers, international agencies, academics and more.
As we embark on a new phase of the GLOBE Series, including the launch of new events and industry-related strategic endeavors, we are actively seeking exemplary talent to help us maintain our lead as the world’s most important environmental business event Series.
The Marketing Director will report to the Chief Operating Officer, and will be responsible for the development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing strategy and promotion plans for GLOBE Series and the company’s related events and activities. The next, GLOBE Capital is currently slated for Toronto in April 2017, and then GLOBE 2018 in Vancouver in March 2018. This position is a full time position based in downtown Vancouver and requires a savvy, creative professional with at least 7-10 years of solid experience developing strategic marketing plans and seeing them through execution.
A highly motivated, self-directed candidate will have well-honed expertise in achieving marketing objectives. This position's responsibilities include meeting established objectives through marketing activities that include the development of an overall strategic marketing plan; email and direct mail campaign development and execution; web site development and management; search engine optimization and social media marketing; advertising; partnership development; copywriting for web, print publications; and more.
Knowledge/Skills and Education Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing or Business-related discipline preferred
- Superior project management skills, managing multiple projects and tasks simultaneously and providing clear communication of timelines and expectations to team members
- Strategic in nature with experience in and ability to analyze competitive markets and customer needs and develop strategic marketing plans and recommendations based on those needs
- Proficient at working independently but also in a highly cohesive team environment
- Experience managing staff and contractors (web designers, graphic artists, printers etc.)
- Proficient understanding of web site functionality, SEO, and email marketing best practices.
- Ability to define and track the key metrics for email and online marketing success
- Creative and detail-oriented with excellent interpersonal, verbal, organizational, and written communication skills. There is a substantial requirement for writing so very sound marketing and sales copy writing skills for website, brochures, email communications, etc. is essential.
- Experience and success with SEM, SEO, mobile websites, apps and leveraging Social and New Media to expand brand an asset
- A keen interest and knowledge in web analytics reports and direct mail campaign analyses to continuously improve web site usability, e-blast campaigns, and ultimately increase conversion rates.
- Experience in marketing large-scale events and/or background in sustainable business a definite asset.
- Marketing all of our events and working with the senior management team to identify overall marketing goals, targets, and how to reach them to get the highest number of participants possible out to our events and fulfill our overall brand goals.
- Work closely with the senior management team on product development and rollout strategies; monitor competitors and identify unique selling propositions and clear competitive differentiation points.
- Develop a detailed marketing plan that clearly depicts what needs to be done and when in the lead up to each specific event, and ensure these plans are communicated to all staff and adhered to.
- Overall website design and development and provision of content for globeseries.com and all sub-sites (individual sites for GLOBE 2018, GLOBE Capital, etc.) to help support participant sales targets. Work with the web designer to create and maintain best practices for facilitating online conference registrations, manage search engine marketing and analyze and report on web site user activity.
- Hold marketing meetings on a regular basis to review the strategy and promotion programs. Convey plans on a regular basis to the team.
- Work directly with Expo sales reps to monitor feedback and ensure they have the best tools possible to support their sales efforts.
- Identify potential advertising opportunities and work with contractors to create and place innovative, effective advertising.
- Manage the brand. Oversee creative agency/contractors and provide feedback and direction around imagery, tone and appropriate conveyance of the brand.
- Develop a detailed plan for and coordinate participation at other trade shows, conferences, and related industry events that will maximize sales opportunities and partner development for our own events.
- Work with our Marketing Coordinator and other related contractors on a social media plan with goals for social media activity and outcomes that speak to and engage our various market segments effectively.
- Help identify, develop, source and/or write ongoing content for the GLOBE Series blog to enhance stakeholder and community engagement and SEO.
- Manage the writing, overall content, imagery, production and distribution of all marketing and sales materials, including postcards, conference programs, event briefs, newsletters, e-blasts, signage, etc.
- Participate in relevant industry events, receptions, and breakfasts (often outside of office hours) to enhance community and potential customer engagement in relevant sectors and maximize dialogue with other participants.
- Work with our senior Communications guru to support public relations efforts, media outreach, partner relationships, and big picture social media and communications activities.
- Create a strategic plan for populating/refreshing our CRM/database tool (Highrise) on an ongoing basis with relevant sales leads based on desired demographic targets; continually striving to build and grow robust mailing lists for our target market.
You and the Company
- Events are highly team-based so the right candidate will have the innate ability to roll up their sleeves and throw in where necessary, working closely with team members in other departments for successful delivery of project elements.
- This is not a travel heavy position, but minimal travel may be required from time to time, mostly in the Pacific Northwest.
- The event industry is cyclical in nature, therefore deadlines are hard and hours are guaranteed to be longer in the final months leading up to our larger events. Flexibility to accommodate this is essential. The flip side – it’s an exciting time, and it’s short-lived.
- Although the work is fast-paced, we strive hard to maintain a working environment that is warm, innovative, inspiring, and maximizes employee engagement. We value your talent, and are committed to nurturing the professional and personal growth of all staff.
- We want you to thrive. Although we like to keep the team cohesive by encouraging as much face-to-face time as possible, as long as you continue to produce stellar work, flex-time working and work-from-home options are possible down the road.
- Because we’re a relatively small outfit, everyone’s opinion counts. We expect our staff to help build the best culture possible to encourage happiness, productivity, and fun.