Reporting to the Marketing Manager, the Marketing Coordinator initiates, develops, implements and manages marketing and communication plans and associated budgets to ensure program goals are realized. Consults and coordinates activities with the Marketing Manager.
Duties And Responsibilities:
Initiates, develops, implements and evaluates effective marketing and communication plans to provide effective promotion and public relations for BC Transit and its local government partner(s) in alignment with corporate goals and objectives.
- Works with BC Transit planning and operating staff, internal clients, operating contractors, local government contacts, and local representatives of municipal clients to provide technical expertise to initiate, develop, implement and evaluate appropriate and cost-effective annual marketing and communication plans.
- Develops and recommends individual systems marketing budgets and monitors approved budgets. Seeks funding and sustainable partnerships for joint promotions and new marketing program concepts.
- Develops effective business partnerships to enhance and promote BC Transit programs.
- Interacts regularly with elected officials, ministry and municipal staff and media sales representatives.
- Delivers presentations to Transit Committees, Mayors, Councils and business members.
- Ensures usages of corporate logos are according to relevant policies and procedures and that marketing deliverables meet corporate standards.
Identifies alternative marketing approaches by:
- Using various research (demographic, social, economic, trends and others) including transit market information and analysis to develop and present alternate marketing approaches.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of marketing and communication programs and strategies by monitoring media, public complaints, inquiries and requests for information. Conducts follow-up research as required e.g. surveys.
Plans and delivers specific marketing programs and initiatives such as public consultations, special events, advertising campaigns, co-promotions, school presentations by:
- Developing, organizing, implementing and attending events including public consultations, service changes, transit system anniversaries, ridership milestones, displays, and photographic sessions in communities throughout the province.
- Sourcing, gathering, writing and editing material - e.g. , ad copy, tariff notices, website copy, internal newsletters, brochures, etc.
- Sourcing outside suppliers, obtaining quotes, raising purchase orders and confirming delivery.
- Coordinating the placement of advertising related to service and fare changes, promotions, and signage programs.
- Coordinates assembly of all publication materials with in-house graphic design staff.
- Delivering elements of BC Transit’s annual workshops.
- Monitoring and maintaining web content elements.
Plans public relations strategies and develops related materials in support of specific issues or announcements by:
- Responding to telephone calls and in-person visits from the public, outside agencies, operating companies, employees, etc.
- Travels frequently to client locations.
Directs the work of marketing contractors by:
- Sourcing outside consultants where necessary, negotiating rates, directing their work, assessing performance, and liaising between consultants and BC Transit departments or municipal clients.
- Guides and assesses the work of contractors and CO-OP students.
Performs related duties as assigned such being items of a minor nature that do not affect the value of the job.
- Requires a two-year diploma in communications/public relations/marketing, including training in website file management.
- Requires two years previous experience in a marketing department, advertising agency, or similar environment, including experience in: coordinating project and event management; writing and editing ad copy.
- Testing and assessments may be included as part of the recruitment process.
- This position requires the completion of a clear Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Search
- An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies.
BC Transit Offers:
- Extended health
- Life insurance
- Medical Services Plan (MSP) group coverage
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Pension Plan
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus 2 taxable dependent passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program