Position Title: Marketing Coordinator
The Walrus provokes new thinking and sparks conversation on matters vital to Canadians. As a registered charity, we publish independent, fact-based journalism in The Walrus and at thewalrus.ca, we produce national, ideas-focused events, including our flagship series The Walrus Talks, and we train emerging professionals in publishing and non-profit management. The Walrus is invested in the idea that a healthy society relies on informed citizens. In addition to all Walrus-branded platforms and projects, we also offer our fifteen years of expertise in content creation and convening to outside organizations through The Walrus Lab.
The Walrus is seeking a Marketing Coordinator. In this role, you will plan, execute, and evaluate integrated marketing initiatives that align with the strategic objectives of the organization and drive audience growth and engagement.
Working closely with multiple departments on all Walrus platforms, including The Walrus Talks, The Walrus Podcasts, The Walrus Books, and The Walrus magazine, and also including projects for outside clients through The Walrus Lab, duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and executing short- and long-term marketing campaigns while ensuring brand consistency across all platforms
- Creating project timelines and establishing tracking systems for marketing campaigns and online activities, ensuring all deliverables are met
- Assisting in executing all digital marketing, including SEO/SEM, email, social media, and display advertising campaigns
- Coordinating the creation of marketing materials with internal and external designers
- Editing materials and ensuring consistency
- Monitoring and maintaining inventory of promotional materials
- Drafting and editing publicity campaigns and press releases
- Coordinating the fulfillment of value sponsorships and partnerships deliverables
- Analyzing campaign ROI by capturing and tracking campaign performance metrics
- Deriving insights and recommending actions to improve performance
- Developing monthly and annual project reports
Experience and Skillset
Candidates must be able to juggle and prioritize multiple projects (often against strict deadlines) and work well under pressure in a fast-paced, creative environment. Candidates must also possess excellent oral and written communication skills, a professional attitude, a high level of initiative, project management skills, and strong attention to detail. In particular, The Walrus is looking for a marketing coordinator who:
- Is passionate about the role of The Walrus in sparking conversations across platforms about some of the most important issues of our time
- Is up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in marketing and measurement
- Has the ability to manage complicated workback schedules, to juggle marketing needs for many departments efficiently, with flexibility and thorough attention to detail, and to work independently in a highly organized, deadline-driven manner
- Possesses a solid knowledge of Google Analytics and experience in initiating and optimizing Google AdWords campaigns
- Is a strong marketing and advertising copywriter
- Has excellent computer skills and the ability to work with a database to input, track, and analyze data (familiarity with Salesforce would be an asset)
The Walrus is committed to equal opportunities in employment and to diversity in the workplace. We welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups, including women, Indigenous people, people with disabilities, and people with diverse backgrounds.
The Walrus offers a competitive salary and benefits package.