Founded in 1961 as a single specialty camera store in the charming and historic neighbourhood of Kerrisdale in Vancouver, Kerrisdale Cameras has 7 stores in Greater Vancouver and Victoria. We are a 3rd-generation family-run local, full-line photographic retailer committed to providing the best selection and service in Western Canada, of both new and used, digital and film photo equipment. We are rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.
We believe in honesty, integrity and respect in all our business relationships with our employees, customers and business associates so we look for employees who share the same high ethics. Our small head office team of six shares these qualities in their commitment to customers and in their support of our stores and sales associates. Half of our 50 employees have been with us for ten years or more. We’re picky so we may take many weeks (or much longer) to fill a position….we won’t settle for less than the best candidates to join our team!
Head office, located above our main store in Kerrisdale @ 2170 W. 41 Ave, Vancouver
Report to: President/Owner
Status: Permanent part-time position
Formulate and execute all marketing and advertising plans including print, radio, website, social media, public relations, in-store promotions, signage, daily website updates and shelf talkers, handle donation/sponsorship inquiries, co-op billings, and more. Liaise with photo clubs and schools. The successful candidate will bring related experience and a proven track record of successes, including experience within the retail or photo industry. This position is ideal for a marketing and social media specialist who would like to combine their career with their passion for photography and, prefers the life-work balance provided by working part-time.
- Proven advertising experience including print ad layout (note: most newspapers do our typesetting), design and produce Point of Purchase signs and displays in-house, co-op management, handle donation/sponsorship/advertising requests, website maintenance.
- 3 to 5 years related work experience
- Marketing through social media
- Experience in the retail and/or photo industry, preferably in a similar position.
- Strong knowledge of retail advertising and our constantly changing marketplace.
- Strong interest in photography
- Strong computer skills. Req’d: MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Photoshop. An asset: Publisher, Acrobat, InDesign
- Fast, accurate and efficient keyboarding and data entry (i.e. website and product database prices).
- Post-secondary business diploma or degree in marketing or retail management would be an asset.
The job has the potential to expand to meet the employee’s abilities. An applicant with related industry experience may be able to assist with buying, store design and merchandising, develop policies and procedures, and more. However, it’s not anticipated that this position will become a full-time position.
Personal attributes preferred:
Professional, great positive attitude, excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong initiative, strong decision-making skills, excellent organization skills, detail-oriented, goal-oriented, must be able to prioritize and meet tight deadlines, superior customer service skills (both for external customers as well as all levels of staff). Results driven and accountable.
20 hours per week. Schedule may vary to suit advertising deadlines but, will usually be 9am to 1pm.Additional hours during peak advertising periods or for vacation relief.
The Kerrisdale Community Centre is located within a block of our office. Our staff lunch room includes WiFi, computer for employee’s personal use, TV/DVD, and even a piano, plus shower facilities and exercise/stretching room for those wishing to bike to work or morning/lunch/evening run or workout, with before/after-hours access. We also have a small dog in the office.