Position: Managing Editor
Reports to: VP, Marketing & Visitor Experience
Science World is a BC-based charitable organization that engages the people of British Columbia in STEM literacy. Our mission is to ignite wonder and empower dreams through science and nature. Our values are Curious, Playful, Inclusive, Relevant and Collaborative.
Who are we looking for?
You are an innovative leader who is comfortable driving change. You seek to hear other’s ideas and work to ensure quality execution of marketing content. You lead with curiosity, you are inclusive, collaborative, and you understand the importance of being playful. You are up to speed on current trends and best practices, and are open to drawing inspiration from unexpected sources. You can think strategically about the institutional narrative and audience engagement and can translate content strategy into a compelling content calendar. You aim to develop holistic, integrated solutions that translate marketing and brand strategies into strong and impactful content across all our marketing distribution channels.
What’s the job?
We are seeking a Managing Editor who will take our marketing content to the next level at this exciting time. Reporting to the Vice President, Marketing & Visitor Experience, the Managing Editor provides editorial direction and oversight of branded and editorial content produced by Science World. This position is instrumental in telling Science World’s many stories, primarily through digital content deployed on social media platforms and the Science World website and blog. This position takes a holistic view of the organization in realizing our marketing content strategy that seeks to more deeply engage audiences.
- Provide strategic editorial direction and oversight of digital and physical consumer-facing marketing content, including videos, blog posts, social media channels, email newsletters, and other print and digital media such as out of home advertising, display advertising and other promotional materials
- Provide leadership, direction and coaching to direct reports. Ensure staff provide support to other members of the Science World team as needed
- Work with VP, Marketing & Visitor Experience to prepare the annual budget. Also responsible for forecasting, tracking and reporting on campaign activities and campaign performance
- Research, strategize, and execute campaigns to engage with known and new audiences using current and emerging social trends to deeply engage audiences
- Ensure that the content marketing mission is carried out on every piece of content published by Science World. Create and maintain content calendar as well as utilize campaign metrics to refine content strategy as necessary
- Work collaboratively with internal and external content producers to develop on brand materials focused on the overall institutional priorities
- Optimize the alchemy of audience, content, and media, ensuring these maintain the voice of Science World and maintains overall brand integrity
- Oversee and approve the creation of all copy that accompanies content created that reflects brand strategy, provides institutional knowledge, and resonates with the intended target audience
- Maintains and advises on current and future trends in marketing, digital journalism, and social trends to adjust and expand institutional messaging as needed
- Other projects and duties as assigned
Skills & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field (or equivalent work experience)
- 5+ years’ experience in an in-house or agency setting with proven experience producing strategic, content driven marketing materials
- A good understanding of marketing and content principals
Leadership, communication and presentation skills:
- Experience coaching, developing, managing and leading content producers
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and confident presentation skills
- Ability to explain ideas to team members for effective and efficient implementation
- Ability to have clear vision while remaining open to others’ ideas
Content strategy & management skills:
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about the institutional narrative and audience engagement
- Strong content portfolio demonstrating the ability to cover a wide range of subjects
- Detail-oriented with strong time management skills
- Knowledge and understanding of google tags and social media platforms
- Proven omnichannel editorial and narrative skills with the ability to align messaging across multiple channels and platforms
- Experience in digital journalism background is preferred
- Experience with science-related content
- Demonstrated ability to work both in a team environment as well as independently