Manager of Communications
The Manager of Communications is responsible for building and maintaining positive relationships with all stakeholders via strategic communication. We have many significant, and diverse, stakeholders that are crucial to our organizational success. Students, teachers, support staff, management staff, parents, and school board trustees are all essential partners in the realization of our District Vision of being a leading district for innovative teaching and learner success. In addition to these primary stakeholders, the support of our community is needed as we strive to achieve our vision, support our mission and uphold our values. Communicating with our broader community and liaising with media are also important aspects of this role.
Strategic communication in this role takes many forms. At the planning level, the Manager of Communications creates communication plans for initiatives, projects, programs and events. At the tactical level, he/she carries out these plans. Whether it is website postings, letters, advertising, marketing, video creation, press releases and the like – the Manager of Communications facilitates carrying out the communication tactics identified in the communication planning stage. Crisis communications and media relations are also an integral part of this role. The Manager of Communications needs to be able to react quickly, work well with others, swiftly assess situations and determine how best to communicate given the specific circumstances, and be flexible with his/her time.
- University degree or equivalent training and experience in communications, public relations or related field
- High degree of proficiency in web communications and Internet technology
- Sound knowledge of current issues in public education and ability to deal with sensitive issues and information
- Considerable knowledge of and experience with the methods, practices and techniques for preparing and disseminating material for public information, promotion and publicity purposes
- Experience with crisis communication management
- Minimum of five years related experience
- Valid drivers license and vehicle in order to be able to quickly move between school sites
Detailed information about the Delta School District can be obtained from our website at: web.deltasd.bc.ca