Job Posted Until: 21-Feb-2017 (noon)
Reporting to the Executive Director of Communications, Marketing and External Relations, the Manager, Communications provides communications leadership for Algonquin College. The Manager takes responsibility for the development and oversight of both the College’s internal and external communications, including community and media relations, social media and crisis communications.
Collaborating with administrators, schools, departments and student organizations, the incumbent provides communications expertise and direction, develops and implements strategies to support the overall goals of the College’s Strategic Plan, and ensures all initiatives reflect Algonquin’s branding and positioning goals. The incumbent also develops robust measures for the effectiveness of all College media relations and social media strategies and tactics.
As an official College spokesperson, the incumbent provides counsel and advice on major public relations issues, and frequently liaises with members of the media on an ongoing basis to develop and maintain positive working relationships. He/she also forges and maintains productive relationships with other public- sector institutions, the private sector, as well as with all College stakeholders and community partners.
A skilled communicator, the incumbent is highly experienced in working with the media and provides coaching to develop the expertise of team members. At ease with new technologies, and equipped with a strong understanding of the nature and value of social media, the incumbent is also an excellent writer who thrives in a fast-paced environment with wide-ranging priorities and multiple deadlines. He/she will lead a diverse and varied team of full time and part time employees, offering mentorship and a roadmap for successful implementation of the College’s communication strategy.
- Minimum of a three (3) year diploma/degree in Communications or directly related field of study
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in progressive communications, public or government relations
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ managerial experience
- Keen understanding of, and demonstrated experience with, communication planning and research
- Keen understanding of, and demonstrated experience in measuring communication outcomes
- Expertise and experience in media relations
- Solid understanding of social media tools and applications
- Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills necessary for dealing with general public
- Excellent relationship-building/interpersonal skills for working with all College stakeholder groups
- Demonstrated track record of excellent oral and written communication skills. Superior editorial skills
- High degree of experience in graphic design/layout, print and web-based applications
- Excellent organizational, project, analytical and intuitive skills
- Ability to identify potential crisis/conflicts before they arise and determine appropriate course of action
- Proficiency with standard suite MS Office tools