The Leader, Promotion and Marketing, is responsible for developing, leading and implementing BCSA’s corporate brand strategy and marketing programs to promote and enhance public and client awareness of BCSA’s role and mandate, as well as enrolment in BCSA products and services to strengthen the safety system. Given BCSA’s role in technical systems safety oversight for the Province, the team will support marketing communications efforts to bring attention to important safety issues. The Leader is also responsible for administering BCSA’s advertising and sponsorship activities, contributing to the planning and executing of participation in external events and tradeshows, and managing BCSA’s brand execution and recognition activities including corporate merchandise.
The Leader, Promotion and Marketing will define marketing campaign objectives by answering questions such as: Who does BCSA want to reach, and what kinds of messages appeal to this target audience? What is the campaign goal -- e.g. Generate more traffic to a website? Drive online sales? Build awareness? What are the measures of success?
This team will boost the company’s current communications and outreach efforts by promoting value-added products and services that compel clients to engage with BCSA, including by receiving and sharing safety knowledge. The team will create and/or source new safety content and bring it to the attention of an ever-growing number of clients by leveraging various channels, including digital media, and using content marketing to attract more clients and the general public to BCSA’s online transaction channels and safety knowledge. This will contribute to BCSA’s efforts to shift more clients to the new client portal for basic transactions, expose more clients to our newsletters and other safety content, and make clients and the general public aware of our brand and our operating model to grow confidence in safety systems for life.
The Leader will have superior communications skills, especially writing, and the ability to put technical safety information into everyday language so clients and the broader public can easily understand it and put it to use.
- Internal Communications: responsible for development and implementation of BCSA’s brand strategy to communicate corporate and strategic information to employees and maintain, monitor, review and evaluate effectiveness of corporate marketing promotion strategies, including implementing best practices to leverage BCSA employees as brand ambassadors.
- External Communications: responsible for development and implementation of a corporate brand marketing and promotion strategy to distribute information and knowledge to clients, stakeholders, and the public.
- Digital Media: leverages BCSA’s digital channels to distribute marketing content to target audiences, including through the website, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc. Designs and tracks appropriate metrics to evaluate the success of the campaigns and initiatives; produce reports on a regular basis.
- Build Relationships with Key Clients and Stakeholders: identify potential and actual issues of stakeholder/ public concern; prepare briefing notes and response scenarios; and provide counsel and advice in responses to issues, and prepares issues notes and public/media statements for use in responding to public issues.
- Key Messaging: develop and update consistent corporate key messages to ensure that employees, Executive and Board consistently utilize this messaging in all internal and external documents. Ensure marketing and branding initiatives align with strategic communications goals and messages.
- Communications Materials: work with Communications Team to develop and evaluate communications materials, including awareness campaigns, advertisements, briefing notes, backgrounders, fact sheets, issues alerts, news releases, media articles, publications, and other written communications products. Ensure publications contain consistent and meaningful corporate and strategic information, and that brand management strategies for advertising, corporate sponsorship and tradeshow programs are executed effectively.
- Budget: Responsible for the development of the annual budget for Promotion & Marketing, establishes and manages the goals, and builds reporting and analysis of key performance indicators.
- Leadership: Models leadership behaviours that support the engagement of employees, and drives culture and change management initiatives. Manages, develops and coaches team members, conducting ongoing performance management and succession planning where appropriate.
- Employee Management/Employee and Labour Relations: Manages, recruits and selects employees, including interviewing applicants and determining who will be hired; plans, assigns and monitors employees’ activities; initiates and applies corrective performance measures, including counselling, training, and disciplining employees up to and including suspensions from employment, as well as recommending more serious disciplinary actions, including termination of employment. Provides input on relevant employment and labour relations; interprets and applies the provisions of the collective agreement pertinent to employees; represents the employer at the first step of the grievance procedure in grievances dealing with employees he or she manages. Identifies issues relevant to employees in the collective agreement to be addressed in negotiations and proposes appropriate changes to the collective agreement. Develops and administers work and performance measurements, and standards for employees; manages employee leaves, ensuring adequate coverage; appraises the volume of employees’ work and redistributes as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Requires a degree in communications, public relations or journalism or marketing, supplemented by a minimum of 8 years of field experience, with at least 3 years in a senior position and previous experience working with an Executive team and Board of Directors.
- Substantial experience in a wide range of marketing functions and considerable people management experience in a corporate environment.
- Substantial practice of creating and implementing marketing strategies and programs.
- Email campaign management experience, including digital marketing strategy and planning, especially as it relates to maintaining compliance with Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL).
- Experience marketing with a CRM system to accurately track and segment client data so the right message can be delivered to the right people at the right time.
- Marketing Communications experience including tradeshow, sponsorships, and event planning.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills, and verbal and written communications.
- Strong business and financial acumen skills.
- Excellent computer and presentation skills.
- Ability to influence all levels of the organization – staff, colleagues, executive.
- Ability to identify potential stakeholder/public concerns, and to respond to issues and enquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Strong people management skills and the ability to lead cross functional teams to achieve strategic objectives, preferably in a unionized environment.
*Please note: As the system is in development, competitions will remain visible past the application deadline. Only applications sent prior to the deadline will be considered. Likewise, please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.*