Graphic designer wanted for Canada’s largest union
The Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), Canada’s largest union, has an immediate opening for a permanent Senior Graphic Designer at our National Office in Ottawa. Applicants should have at least five years’ experience of innovative and creative design work in a fast-paced environment, as a full-spectrum designer in all areas of graphic design, including layout, desktop publishing, image development and editing, development of logos, letterheads, infographics, graphic elements and illustrations for print, web and other media. Working on a Macintosh platform, expert knowledge of the full suite of Adobe Creative Cloud design tools, as well as MS Office and design for Web are essential.
If you work well with others, meet deadlines and have the technical skills and experience working in the labour movement and/or progressive civil society organizations producing top-notch design and art direction, we want to hear from you. We offer highly competitive pay and generous benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan and four weeks vacation.
CUPE is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, racialized and LGBTTI community members.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- Work with CUPE Communications staff, branches and departments to develop strategies, themes, logos, images and slogans in support of campaigns and activities.
- Design printed materials including leaflets, newsletters, posters, magazines, ads and brochures.
- Design graphic elements for CUPE's website.
- Provide illustrations to enhance printed and electronic communications.
- Manage pre- and post-production of print materials, ensuring high quality production and timely delivery.
- Coordinate all print production (in-house and sourcing external suppliers as required, including securing quotes).
- Demonstrate design techniques and offer basic training in desktop publishing.
- Help to project the diversity of our membership and the values of our union in all CUPE communications.
- Help to develop and implement communications strategies intended to support the union's bargaining, representation, organizing and mobilizing objectives.
- Work with Communications staff and others to contribute to the union's communications objectives, improving communication with members, staff and the public.
- A degree or diploma in graphic design or equivalent education and a minimum five years’ experience as a working designer in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in all areas of design, including layout and desktop publishing, image editing, illustration, development of logos, letterheads, infographics and other products.
- Experience working with illustrators, photographers, suppliers, manufacturers, and in-house and external printers.
- Experience in pre-press for digital and offset printing.
- Experience in art direction.
- Experience in working on a Macintosh platform, with expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud including, Photoshop, lnDesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat, as well as Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and web design.
- Ability to work with CUPE staff and members.
- Understanding of trade union communications functions and community organizing.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Applicants should be free for occasional travel and be able to work evenings and weekends as required.