Reporting to the AVP, Marketing and Communications (MarCom) and working
closely with the Associate Director, Strategic Communications and the President’s
office, the Executive Communications Officer (ECO) is responsible for formal internal and external communications for the President and Vice-Chancellor of Thompson Rivers University (TRU).
The incumbent works directly with and provides dedicated, proactive strategic
Communications support to the President. Additionally, support is provided to other
members of the TRU Executive team as required. The ECO is a strategic thinker and advisor whose work aligns with and strengthens the overall Strategic
Communications Plan for TRU, in order to advance the relationships, reputation and profile of the university amongst its key stakeholders.
The ECO is responsible for a broad range of Communications initiatives for the
President, and exercises overall responsibility for the President’s profile. The
incumbent adapts to the style, preferences and “voice” of each individual in the role. Communications work would typically include some or all of the following: annual Communications plan; institution-wide internal messages; speeches, remarks, and presentations for internal and external events; videos and social media posts; public writing such as blogs, institutional website messages and Op Eds; messages in public-facing institutional publications and reports; and internal reports to institutional governance bodies such as the Board of Governors and Senate.
As a member of the MarCom team, the incumbent will work with colleagues to access resources and expertise in creative services and digital production to support and advance Executive Communications plans and initiatives.
- Works closely with the President and in alignment with the institutional Strategic Communications Plan, proactively anticipates and addresses Communications needs.
- Creates and implements an annual Communications Plan in support of the President.
- Provides strategic Communications counsel to the President and other members of the Executive as required.
- Prepares the President for internal and external speaking engagements, including writing or providing oversight of speeches, remarks, and presentations.
- Prepares or provides oversight of institutional-wide internal messages from the President.
- Prepares and manages the President’s public-facing writing and digital content including social media posts, blogs, videos, messages for TRU’s website, and Op Eds.
- Prepares the President’s reports to the Board of Governors, Senate, and other internal governance bodies at TRU.
- Prepares or provides oversight of the President’s messages in institutional publications and reports.
- Liaises as necessary with the AVP, MarCom or the Associate Director of Strategic Communications on the President’s media interviews.
- Manages the President’s bios, photos, and website content.