Closing Application Date: 20/9/2017
Using knowledge of the University's mission, history, programs goals, philosophy and funding needs, the role coordinates a strategic, targeted approach to SOBE events that is alumni/donor volunteer oriented to establish and maintain support and to ensure that donor cultivation and stewardship objectives are achieved. Prepares marketing material and invitations, liaises with the School of Business and Economics and Ancillary Services, and provides on-site inspections; monitors services for events.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identifies, trains, coordinates and monitors volunteers for events, programs and committees; participates in development of annual plans in conjunction with volunteer committees and contractors.
- Attends meetings of the Alumni Association and Foundation Board of Directors, and other alumni volunteer committees as appropriate.
- Coordinates the establishment and maintenance of standards, formats, policies and processes for developing invitation and guest lists, issuing invitations, accepting and recording replies/registrations, approving event itinerary and content, preparation of remarks, pre-event briefings and debriefings.
- Designs marketing programs, advertising and promotional materials for approval by the Dean, School of Business and Economics and prepares marketing materials and invitations to various events.
- Researches and compiles invitation lists for each event based upon the identified objectives of each event.
- Provides on-site inspections and monitor services for events, including room set-up, menu, equipment needs and overall venue appearance; may also liaise with Ancillary Services.
- Maintains resource materials including mailing lists and events information including attendees at each event for the purpose of tracking and identification of supporters.
- In Collaboration with the Communications and Marketing Supervisor, identifies and implements effective communication strategies and tactics with respect to ceremonies and events.
- Collects and analyzes information for writing and compiling formal documents and presentations for the executive level of the university.
- Compiles surveys and statistical data, and prepares reports.
- Grade 12 plus two year Diploma in Event, Convention or Hospitality Management
- Five (5) years' related experience in event management and working with volunteers and board members:
- One (1) year experience in Editing, writing communication and promotional materials (e.g. for post-secondary students)
- Electronic publishing, print production (web and off-set)
- Updating information for the web and for social media
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with staff, students and members of the general public
- Proven ability to write and copy edit effectively for publications and corporate documents
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Demonstrated planning, writing and presentation skills suitable for the senior level of the university
- Knowledge of electronic word processing, data entry, and the importance of design elements when branding printed and electronic material
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritize work while managing multiple, diverse and competing priorities to meet deadlines
- Advanced knowledge of the hospitality industry
- Ability to maintain a high degree of attention to detail
- Knowledge of the University's mission, history, programs, goals, philosophy and funding needs
- Sitting at a desk for long periods of time; general office conditions
- Travel required within Canada
Please Note: If you are selected for interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview