Permanent Full-Time Excluded Position
8:30am to 4:30pm (Flexible) / Monday to Friday (Hybrid Option for Remote Work)
Grade 12 ($96,164 to $128,219 per annum)
Emily Carr University is a school of students, faculty, thinkers and makers unlike any other. Established in 1925, we are the only specialized, accredited, public, post-secondary university in British Columbia solely devoted to education and research in the creative sector and its associated knowledge economy. We merge research, critical theory and studio practice in an interdisciplinary environment, strengthening our work by the integration of our personal and professional practices. Our strategy, facilities, partnerships and resources are intentionally student-centred to foster dialogue, expression and open connections in support of the next generation of creative and cultural leaders.
The Director of Marketing and Digital Strategy leads the creation of ECU’s annual strategic marketing plan and is accountable for implementing effective marketing and digital strategies aligned with ECU’s mission and goals.
The Director leads a broad range of marketing initiatives and is accountable for executing data-informed campaigns that enhance the university’s reputation, increase brand recognition and awareness, support revenue generation, strengthen student enrolment, and promote student and community engagement.
The Director manages, mentors, and motivates members of ECU’s marketing team, oversees external service providers including creative services and web developers, and provides leadership within the Communications + Marketing department. They work in a highly collaborative fashion with internal and external partners on cross-functional initiatives that support ECU’s strategic plan and organizational priorities.
Benefits of joining the Emily Carr community:
- Enrollment in a comprehensive benefits package, including dental coverage, extended health, disability coverage and life insurance.
- Membership in the College Pension Plan.
- Competitive vacation and professional development benefits.
- Access to telecommuting options.
As the successful applicant, you should possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business, or a related field. Master’s degree an asset.
- Minimum five (5) years of recent, related and progressively responsible marketing experience.
- Minimum five(5) years of progressively responsible and related management experience, including accountability for staff supervision.
- Experience in the public post-secondary sector or the art and design sector, an asset.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant experience developing and implementing multi-channel marketing strategies for diverse audiences and ample experience in digital marketing.
- Considerable experience with customer relationship management (CRM), search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), pay-per-click marketing (PPC), and web content management systems (CMS).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and monitor budgets and manage contracts with service providers.
- Knowledge of best practices in marketing including brand strategy, market research, traditional and digital advertising, inbound marketing, email marketing, content marketing, sponsorship marketing, web analytics, Google Analytics, and data reporting.
- Knowledge of current social media, graphic design, web content and web design techniques and approaches.
- Knowledge and experience with leading and developing creative marketing campaigns to grow, engage and retain a sense of community.
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking, problem-solving, project management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation.
- Strong goal orientation with the ability to achieve outcomes through collaborative methods.
- Ability to work collaboratively with demonstrated consensus-building and conflict-resolution skills and the ability to build effective relationships with individuals and groups representing diverse interests.
- Effective leadership skills with the ability to manage, develop, and inspire employees.
- Ability to lead the development and implementation of plans, strategies, and programs in a complex, fast-paced, and dynamic environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, diplomacy and discretion when addressing sensitive or confidential matters.
- Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings or weekends.
Some Typical Duties include:
- Lead the creation and implementation of ECU’s annual strategic marketing plan and digital strategy in support of the university’s revenue generation goals and organizational priorities. Establish KPIs, analyse and report on strategy success and apply insights for revised and improved approaches.
- Lead marketing programs and initiatives including brand strategy, market research, traditional and digital advertising, inbound marketing, email marketing, content marketing, sponsorship marketing, web and Google analytics and data reporting.
- Develop the university’s digital strategy to enhance brand awareness and engagement across digital platforms; remain current with trends in the public post-secondary and art and design education sectors, recommend and lead innovative improvements to the university’s website and social media channels.
- Direct, manage and supervise members of the marketing team. Responsible for recruitment, hiring, training, development, evaluation, and performance management of these roles; cultivate a culture of inclusivity, trust, support, and care.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to develop clear, consistent, and creative brand messaging to promote the university’s initiatives, drive brand recognition and awareness, and connect with new and established audiences across various marketing channels.
- Direct and oversee the creation of engaging marketing content, such as videos, webinars, and website content for use across a variety of platforms.
- Work collaboratively with internal partners, including the Executive Director, Continuing Studies, and the Registrar + Director of Enrollment, on the development of strategic marketing campaigns to meet the university’s student recruitment and strategic enrolment management goals.
- Develop and oversee recruitment campaigns to strengthen enrolment and expand the university’s local, national, and international reach and reputation.
- 9 Conduct primary and secondary research to evaluate and inform marketing strategies, brand image and positioning, user research, and usability. Prepare reports and provides recommendations to the Executive Director.
- In collaboration with partners across ECU including Academic Affairs, IT Services, Student Services and Continuing Studies, gather actionable insights on ECU’s marketing activities, products and services using data from internal and external systems.
- Research, plan and direct the implement of branding strategies in consultation with the Executive Director and internal partners.
- Ensure that marketing activities, products and services are inclusive and accessible, align with brand standards, and uphold the public image of the university. Act as a conscientious champion of ECU’s brand identity.
- Work closely with the university’s IT department and contracted web developers to strategize and implement digital solutions for the university’s website and related digital properties, and make improvements to user experience, information architecture, navigation, usability and content management.
- Responsible for directing the workflow management of the marketing team and related programs and services, ensuring that operations are both efficient and effective.
- Lead, schedule and oversee the work of internal teams and external service providers to ensure project goals and objectives have been met on time and on budget.
- 16 Work closely with the Communications Manager to ensure a strong environment of partnership and cooperation between marketing and communications staff; collaborate on delivering integrated communications and marketing plans and activities.
- Advise ECU senior leaders regarding policies, processes, guidelines, and best practices related to marketing and brand.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and the Communications Manager on the development of the university’s overall marketing and communications strategies, including operational plans, annual objectives, and key performance indicators.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and recommend policies, procedures and guidelines related to the use of university brand assets, digital channels, and other relevant areas.
- Develop and manage the department’s marketing budget. Participate in the department’s annual budget planning process. Implement, monitor and ensure appropriate budgetary controls and pursue opportunities to drive efficiencies.
- Foster a culture of Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) by remaining current in JEDI trends that impact their field of work and make recommendations to the Executive Director for improvements in support of the ECU community, and the related strategic goals of the University.
- Assume the responsibilities of the Executive Director as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!