Avigilon (TSX: AVO) provides trusted security solutions to the global market. Avigilon designs, develops, and manufactures video analytics, network video management software and hardware, surveillance cameras, and access control solutions. Avigilon’s solutions have been installed at thousands of customer sites, including school campuses, transportation systems, healthcare centers, public venues, critical infrastructure, prisons, factories, casinos, airports, financial institutions, government facilities, and retailers.
Reporting to the Vice President, Capital Markets & Communications, the Director, Corporate Communications will be primarily responsible for directing strategy and leading the external communications efforts and brand awareness campaigns on behalf of Avigilon. The Director, Corporate Communications will help develop and publish effective content through all mediums (online, print and broadcast), while continuously seeking new ways to improve the Company’s corporate brand and identity in the industry and within the organization. Additionally, this role requires the development and implementation of media outreach to help position Avigilon as an industry thought leader. The Director, Corporate Communications will work closely with a variety of stakeholder groups within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives to ensure consistent and effective messaging to our external and internal stakeholders.
The successful applicant will be a creative and innovative thinker with a strong track record of developing credible ideas for content. The strategic nature of the role is critical; however, you will actually need to do work as the team builds! As you have gathered, this is a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment, and the role will provide an exciting and challenging opportunity for a talented communicator with a solid foundation in project management and an uncanny ability to see the bigger picture at all times.
- Create communications plans that help address Avigilon’s strategic priorities
- Generate the first draft of corporate press releases
- Ability to generate and execute on new ideas and ways to maximize online presence and search engine optimization
- Manage media relations, including the database, while maximizing media opportunities
- Assist with Marketing Communications materials as it pertains to brand identity for Avigilon
- Manage internal and external resources to accomplish work on time and on-budget
- Develop executive scripts and Q&A for interviews as required
- Contribute article writing for Avigilon’s corporate blog
- Ability to develop excellent working relationships with senior-level stakeholders and to influence those stakeholders as a trusted advisor on communications
- Collaborate closely with colleagues to ensure consistent and effective messaging by aligning and integrating strategic messages that reflect Avigilon’s most critical priorities
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline such as English, Economics or Business Administration
- Minimum 7-10 years of experience in Communications
- Graduate level education is preferred
- Thorough understanding of branding and communications principles and tactics
- Proven ability to design, develop and implement both strategic programs and supporting tactics
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office
Preference will be given to candidates with the following skills and experience:
- Meticulous copy editing skills with very strong attention to detail and commitment to delivering the highest quality output
- Public company experience with tight disclosure controls
- Experience generating international media coverage
- Strong history of branding & corporate identity experience
- Superior written and verbal communications skills, coupled with highly developed interpersonal skills
- Strong team and leadership skills, with the ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Experience and comfort in developing messaging and speeches for executive leaders
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to multi-task and set priorities within tight timelines and high expectations
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical and business concepts and express them in clear terms
- Flexible and open to changing priorities
- Experience with creating and implementing a media outreach campaign
- Experience with article and blog writing is an asset
Perks and Benefits:
As a full-time employee at Avigilon, you are eligible to receive a comprehensive benefits package which includes MSP, extended health, dental, medical insurance while travelling, and the opportunity to participate in the Employee Share Purchase Plan (ESPP). You will also receive a health spending account to cover additional healthcare costs, such as vision care, RMT and chiropractor visits.
Perks at our Yaletown office include an outdoor basketball court and full service indoor gym, as well as excellent proximity to public transportation.