The Institute for Gender + the Economy at the Rotman School of Management seeks to use rigorous research to change the conversation on gender equality. The goal is to bring fresh ideas related to finance, business, management, entrepreneurship and the economy by promoting gender analysis in research and education. We are currently searching for a talented and versatile digital storyteller for a Research Assistant position.
If you love telling stories through creative means – whether in pithy text, video, infographic or some other yet-to-be-created digital medium, this position may be perfect for you. We are looking for someone who loves learning about new research and ideas about gender equality and helping others understand how to navigate those issues and drive social change.
Digital Storytelling, Marketing + Social Media
The successful candidate will be:
- A skilled writer, organized, creative, web-savvy and a superb editor
- Passionate about gender equality, with a voracious appetite to ‘dig deep’, to understand gender gaps and potential solutions
- Detail oriented, with keen eye for design, well versed in Adobe InDesign to create infographics and reports
- Able to conceptualize stories, content and generate ideas, including working closely with academic researchers to translate their cutting-edge ideas for practitioners
- A leader in multi-media content creation including: writing teases, intros and headlines; and, developing podcasts, videos, and infographics, etc.
- Able to manage the social media feeds of the Institute: Adaptable to integrate feedback into content creation and quickly alert group to any unusual or negative feedback
- Persuasive in content created to ensure it is compelling and ‘tone’ appropriate (reflecting the academic rigor behind it)
- Understanding of best practices, trends and innovations in content marketing
- Flexible to take on other duties as assigned
- A University Degree or College Diploma in a related field or equivalent work experience.
- 1-3 years of experience in journalism or digital publishing (print, digital or television)
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Experience communicating with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be able to work easily in InDesign and Wordpress
- Ideally, the candidate will be familiar with the academic research process and interested in working in a university setting
- WordPress and InDesign experience
- Basic video and podcast editing skills
- Knowledge of mechanics of publishing and management (i.e. search engine optimization and driving social media reach)
- Editorial production experience.
If you’re a self-starter, have a can-do attitude and are passionate about gender equity we encourage you to apply! Join us in building a one-of-a-kind think-tank at a globally leading research University.