The Toronto Star is Canada's largest daily newspaper, with the largest readership in the country, and currently has an exciting career opportunity available within its Digital team.
What You Will Do…
As a key member of a small and productive team the Digital Designer is responsible for building high-impact responsive designs and features. Handles quick turnarounds and is responsible for the presentation of long-form, one-off interactives and other special projects on thestar.com. Possesses strong designer/informational graphic skills and remains current with technology and digital storytelling platforms and trends. The ideal candidate mixes design and programming skills with grounding in journalism.
The person in this position works closely with internal and external development and design teams and coordinates the efforts of digital design interns.
Who You Are…
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, constantly changing priorities
- Proven ability to synthesize and organize information
- Ability to develop high-impact desktop and mobile designs and functionalities with little lead time and direction
- An understanding of usability and navigation issues and the ability to integrate these into overall design concepts
- Strong design skills with a working knowledge of typography, colour and layout
- Strong skills in Photoshop, Illustrator.
- Expertise in Interactive and Graphic Design
- Experience with mapping platforms, such as Mapbox and Tilemill
- Experience with GitHub
- An understanding of cross-browser compatible code based on web standards
- Understanding of IA (Information Architecture) and building user interfaces for desktop and reader-facing mobile applications
- Understanding the use and value of different social media platforms and how to integrate them in design