Underknown is a Toronto based, mission-driven modern media company with the goal to entertain, inspire and educate people, around the world, about science and the humanities. We are a next-generation digital media company, operating 40+ owned and operated video channels on YouTube, Facebook and Snapchat, including "How To Survive" and “What If”, the #1 Science show on Facebook. We are obsessed with boiling down complex subjects in a fun and engaging way. We tell factual stories that entertain. Our goal is to change people’s perspectives by creating fun, educational content that makes them look to the sky instead of the ground. If this resonates with you, consider applying.
ABOUT THE ROLE
If you want to utilize your creative and innovative mind to help our brands get noticed and get your work seen by millions around the world, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
We are looking for a Digital Designer that is highly disciplined but also knows when to break the rules. You will help design and create digital brands from concept to completion that are watched and seen by millions of young people worldwide every month. Working as part of the design team that serves our showrunners and comms department, you’ll be an excellent communicator, good at juggling multiple projects and have enthusiasm for raising the bar with your work.
To succeed, you will have solid multi-channel design experience. You will have led design projects from start to finish, which include preparing materials for use in video or for publication on digital channels. You have developed and established your own creative process from research to first draft to delivery and bring solid experience of producing designs for editorial, story-telling purposes as well as for marketing and advertising; and you will be adept at translating complex ideas from different fields into unified, clear communications.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, produce, and manage online, mobile-first creative content for our digital channels. Responsible for all company collateral including decks and infographics.
- Interpret briefs for each project, research and conceptualize visuals, present design ideas to all relevant stakeholders and amend designs after feedback.
- Create digital assets for a range of platforms (mostly social, but also advertising, eCommerce, websites, etc.), and editing content.
- Continually identify opportunities to create added value, be proactive with innovative ideas and creative solutions. Advise on accompanying content, editorial direction, and graphic design best practices across all platforms.
- Collaborate with team members to conceptualize and execute projects.
- Regularly conduct research to identify new design opportunities, covering our direct competitors and leading examples from other digital-first media companies. Keep abreast of technological advances in the field and be able to identify areas of use in the organization.
- Catalog and reference art for future projects.
- Follow a development timeline to ensure tasks are being completed on time.
- Effectively manage multiple projects and provide ongoing status reports to the Leadership Team, while taking ownership of projects and executing them through completion.
QUALIFICATIONS YOU BRING
- You are a digital native living and breathing social media.
- A passion for design as a storytelling medium, demonstrable through a portfolio of design projects, marketing campaigns, or anything else.
- Strong understanding of the fundamental principles of design—including composition, typography, color, hierarchy, grids, proportion and image curation.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly in Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Acrobat. Knowledge in Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premier is a plus.
- Basic understanding of web design principles, including HTML and CSS
- Ability to grasp multiple design requirements with attention to detail and effectively complete deliverables within deadlines with little supervision.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and desire to help continue to build something new, original and fresh
- Accustomed to working in a fast-paced start-up environment with the ability to multi-task and pro-actively collaborate.
- Familiar with working with tools in the cloud, including Google Slides, Docs and Sheets
- A collaborative spirit, and the ability to work and lead across departments.
WHERE YOU WILL BE WORKING/OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- This is a full-time role at Underknown.
- The ability to work from home, or anywhere in the world, providing you have a reliable/fast internet. Must be available during EST time zone for review.
- A manager who deeply cares about your development and makes a personal investment in your career at Underknown.
- A team that trusts and wants to win together....plus share in a few laughs along the way!
- Your work will be seen by millions of people around the world.