This is an exciting time at the Toronto Star! Canada’s largest newspaper is bringing its award-winning, ground-breaking and impactful journalism to a new tablet edition that we expect will become a world leader for tablet-based delivery of news content. We have a number of exciting career opportunities available, including a new role of Digital Designer, with several to be hired. We’re looking for highly motivated, passionate Designers who can contribute to the success of our tablet edition.
Are you excited by the challenge of developing interactive news content for tablets?
Can you work closely and collaboratively with colleagues to ensure that each story you touch is presented in a highly engaging manner that leverages the full potential of the tablet platform?
Are you a strong Designer who understands how to tell stories that captivate and delight readers?
If the answer to any of these questions is Yes, this role may be for you!
The successful candidate will work in a fast-paced environment and constant deadline pressure in a 24 hour, 7 days a week newsroom operation and will report directly to the Editorial Design Director of The Star.
AS A TABLET DESIGNER YOU WILL:
- Develop and create visual stories that help determine the best way to present news in tablet format.
- Design graphics that are consistent with our editorial goals and aligned with the newsroom philosophy.
- Develop complex tablet screens containing a wide variety of file formats while respecting the style guidelines.
- Illustrate graphic applications from conception to completion.
- Work with assignment editors to ensure design and graphics opportunities are realized as soon as possible in the workflow process.
- Identify potential design issues and recommend solutions.
- Suggest and execute new design opportunities that will improve the tablet experience for readers.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- Ideally you have 3-5 years of experience in creating and manipulating images and graphics in a digital environment, with preference given for newsroom experience.
- Strong knowledge of and experience in commonly used digital apps and web design.
- University or college-level education in Graphic Design, or multimedia experience.
- Highly proficient in Photoshop & Illustrator.
- Strong ability to analyze important information from written material.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, collaborative team and time-sensitive environment.
- Strong knowledge of news, current affairs and journalistic storytelling techniques.
- Take ownership of tasks and drive projects through to completion.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE:
- Motivated and full of ideas
- Passionate about what they do
- A delight to work with
- Being the first to break the latest news
- Fully savvy when it comes to information and editorial design
Candidates must submit a portfolio of design work, either attached to the application or via weblink.
LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT: Fixed term contract to December 2016, with the possibility of extension
WORK LOCATION: 1 Yonge St, Toronto, ON
BENEFITS: Extended Health care, Dental, Group Retirement Savings Plan