In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of Island Health, patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting to the Director, Digital Engagement and Innovation, the Digital Communications Specialist is responsible for writing and delivering a wide range of digital news, and features that highlight the experiences of patients, staff, physicians and volunteers and Island Health programs, services, organizational achievements and projects.
As a member of Island Health’s Communication and Public Relations team, the Digital Communications Specialist works closely with Island Health’s geographic leadership teams to research, write and produce news and feature stories relevant to the public, communities and organizational initiatives as guided by the organization’s strategic initiatives.
Education, Training and Experience
A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism or Multimedia Art School with five (5) years recent, related experience working in a digital news or news and feature writing environment.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong ability to work independently and in remote areas with positivity, curiosity and enthusiasm
- Excellent social skills and an ability to create positive working relationships with others
- Ability to adapt to changing environments and respond with initiative.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in digital platforms, multimedia journalism and social media.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and deadlines.
- Skill and experience in journalistic writing and creation of web-based content and social media communication.
- Proficiency with graphic design tools (e.g. Adobe CS)
- Knowledge and working experience with photography, video and multimedia production techniques
- Ability to manage projects and time effectively, holding to tight deadlines
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position