(Regular Full Time)
Position: Digital Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Science World is a BC-based charitable organization that engages the people of British Columbia in STEM literacy. Our mission is to ignite wonder and empower dreams through science and nature. Our vision is that within a generation, Canada will be a country of thriving, sustainable communities rooted in scientific literacy, technological innovation and a deep connection to nature.
The Digital Communications Coordinator will work cross departmentally to support the organization’s needs in terms of online content management and digital community management.
Our ideal candidate will possess impeccable brand management skills in order to maintain a consistent voice and presence for the Science World brand, across platforms. This position will work collaboratively with content writers, fundraisers, external partners and the creative team to produce digital media content for video, blogs and social media. We are seeking a strong communicator, and understand how to apply social media in connecting people and brands.
The Digital Communications Coordinator will be familiar with the social media management system, Hootsuite, and will be able to develop and execute content strategies across platforms. This position will be able to organize and support project managers on various simultaneous campaigns.
This position requires an enthusiastic, organized, independent and creative individual with a passion for science and learning and with experience coordinating digital content for a large multi-faceted organization.
Confidence and experience with working in a high-energy creative team is a must. This position requires flexibility in workload distribution across our annual cycle with periodic weekend and evening work, typically connected to specific program cycles and special events.
- Coordinate and manage all organizational Social Media Accounts
- Strengthen relationships using social media with Science World visitors, community partners, donors, etc.
- Undertake social listening, monitoring of similar brands, and provide ideas for how to continually improve social content
- Email marketing and communications
- Publishing and editing Science World Blog
- Stay current in new media best practices and experiment with new and emerging platforms
- Build and maintain relationships with local social media influencers to create a strong community of brand supporters
- Lead and produce experiential marketing events (i.e. social media events, promotional events, etc.)
- Regularly, actively explore opportunities for Science World to partner with and expand and improve our digital engagement presence/activity
- Email and social media analytics
- Monthly reports communicating digital engagement activity and progress across our programs and galleries
- Support launch of Canada’s first STEAM learning ecosystem, Symbiosis, with content creation, distribution and promotion
- Other duties as required
- A related degree such as journalism, marketing, communications, science communications or equivalent work experience, ideally with a minimum of 2 years of experience in community management
- A proven ability to translate complex subjects into fun, digestible language for the general public
- Excellent writing skills and an ability to write for, and make content accessible to all levels of users
- Demonstrated experience writing and managing web content and creating successful content strategies for social media
- Ability to think broadly and make connections about program, exhibit and community-relevant content and activity
- Demonstrated dependability, reliability, flexibility, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a part of an energetic and creative team
- Strong ability to identify and take action to help where required, and to organize and prioritize tasks in a way that is most helpful to the larger goals of the organization
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), content management systems, Google Analytics, Facebook, Instagram, snapchat and Twitter
- Other nice-to-haves include: Experience in video production management, Adobe Creative suite, familiarity with Drupal CMS and media training
- Able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and evenings as necessary