We find solutions for living within the limits of nature. Through a combination of evidence-based science and active public engagement, we seek to motivate Canadians to take action on the pressing environmental challenges we face. With headquarters in Vancouver and regional offices in Toronto and Montreal, we address issues from coast to coast to coast, in both official languages. With the support of scientists, academics, progressive businesses, governments, non-governmental organizations and hundreds of thousands of Canadians we aim to achieve this vision: “That within a generation Canadians act on the understanding that we are interconnected and interdependent with nature, and with each other.”
We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Aboriginal people, members of a visible minority and people with a disability.
Digital Communications Coordinator, Environmental Rights
Full-time, one year contract
Reports to the Campaign Manager, Blue Dot
Vancouver or Montreal
About the role:
The David Suzuki Foundation has embarked on a long-term national campaign that seeks to build a grassroots movement to guarantee every Canadian the right to breathe clean air, drink clean water, and live in a healthy environment. Our goal is simple: to have all levels of government recognize every Canadian’s right to live in a healthy environment, no matter who they are or where they live. After a high-profile national tour, and over 130 municipalities successfully engaged to adopt Right to a Healthy Environment declarations, we are orienting towards a long-term national campaign.
Reporting to the Campaign Manager, and working closely with the Communications Specialist, you will play a key role in ensuring high quality implementation of our communications and digital strategy. This position is a unique opportunity to play a meaningful role in engaging Canadians across the country to achieve recognition of environmental rights.
Communications Coordination & Implementation
- Design and produce engaging and user-friendly graphics (e.g. Facebook, Thunderclap, Twibbon, website, flyers, one-pagers, etc.);
- Work with the Quebec team to ensure that communications are delivered in both official languages where appropriate;
- When possible and appropriate, draft compelling emails, produce online and social media content; and recommend online strategies and tools to support our work;
Digital Tools Management
- Manage all Blue Dot digital assets, including our website (Wordpress), CRM (Salesforce), email campaigns (Marketo), and social media channels;
- Coordinate ongoing improvement of bluedot.ca, including phased updates and redesigns;
- Play a lead role in ensuring consistent data management and community stewardship via Salesforce; support the customization of Salesforce to meet team needs;
- With the Communications Specialist, assess and strategically implement new digital tools (ie. Facebanking, Twitter, Thunderclap, etc.) to support the campaign strategy;
- Implement Facebook ads strategy to support community acquisition and stewardship;
- Support data-driven decisions by maintaining and reporting on web, social media and email analytics; monitor online and offline list acquisition through website traffic and pledge signatures;
- Recommend web, email and social media improvements and best practices based on data analytics; support the team to amplify what works and let go of what doesn't;
- Support the team to successfully implement and use internal digital communications tools (e.g. Yammer, Slack, Google apps, Dropbox, etc.) and external digital engagement tools (e.g. email, facebanking, phonebanking, Twitter, Thunderclap, etc.).
You have previous experience in communications, digital and/or marketing roles, and have an interest and understanding of digital strategy fundamentals. You are professional, creative and resourceful. You have top-notch digital skills: experience with websites, e-communications, graphic design and social media. You are organized, results-oriented and pay attention to deadlines. You bring a desire and willingness to learn through reflection, evaluation and by giving and receiving feedback. Above all, you are passionately committed to achieving the highest standards and consistently exceeding expectations in all aspects of your work.
Skills and Qualifications
- Accredited experience in digital communications or an appropriate combination of training and work experience;
- 1-3 years experience executing successful digital communications or marketing campaigns with a proven record of success;
- Strong technical ability with digital tools, technologies and practices. Knowledge of - or ability to learn very quickly - CRM Software (Salesforce), email marketing platforms (Marketo), content management platforms (Wordpress);
- Good working knowledge of graphic design software (Adobe Creative Suite) Google Analytics, search engine marketing (Google Adwords) and social media monitoring metrics
- Strong written and spoken English language skills. Bilingualism (French) strongly preferred;
- Ability to own and manage projects from start to finish, including an uncanny attention to detail; project management experience an asset;
- Commitment to rigour and accountability; ability to use digital measurement systems and provide analysis of project outcomes;
- Ability to manage high-stress situations with composure and poise, and to adjust quickly to changing conditions and requirements; a positive, “can-do” attitude that infuses the team with energy and impact;
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, collaborative relationships within and across departments and cross functional teams;
- Positive team player who thrives on the challenge of working in a busy, deadline driven and information-rich workplace;
- Strong understanding of and commitment to fostering effective team processes; including transparent decision making, strong content protocols and disciplined project management;
- Demonstrated self-starter - driven by own initiative to prioritize competing demands and deliver high quality products within timelines;
- Strong personal values that align with DSF's mission and values; demonstrated through professional or community involvement.