Leads and manages a product design team, providing high-level guidance for the direction of design projects. As a resource for the design teams, a Design Director is able to easily understand client needs and clearly communicate them with the team. Has thorough knowledge of building digital products from start to finish. Externally, a Design Director serves as a face for our design team, and acts as a key point of contact with clients. They also probably like puppies and ice-cream.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads design direction for their projects, and is responsible for keeping all of their projects up to a high standard of quality.
- Assist in scoping out the timeline and requirements of design engagements with project management team.
- Collaborates with CEO to pitch projects and engagements to clients.
- Coaching and mentoring of a team of designers—no yellers please. Involved in building process for vetting, hiring, and training new members of the design team.
- Managing a design team, giving constructive feedback, and leading the evaluations of the their design team on an ongoing basis.
- Foster an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment for the design team.
- Located in/willing to relocate to either Victoria or Vancouver, with the expectation that they will spend time in the non-local city on a regular basis (I.E based in Victoria will spend some time in Vancouver, and vice-versa).
- Interacts with their design team in-person and online on a daily basis, and with clients when needed.
- Will travel to client meetings, sometimes alone—we will equip with adequate stuffed animals to keep you company.
- Can work remotely in either city, but face time is expected with each of the designers on your team.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strength in leading, mentoring, and coaching an interface and product design team. Bonus points for anyone who has lead teams of 15-20.
- Design aesthetic that meshes with MetaLab. We are not looking to overhaul our design style—we want to build off of the fantastic, industry-leading foundation we have built over the last 9 years.
- Expert-level experience in either UI/UX design or leading a UI/UX design team. Familiar with all the common designer tools such as Sketch, Photoshop, Invision, etc.
- Able to pitch designs to clients with credibility, clarity, and confidence.
- Strong understanding of digital product building from start to finish. This does not include marketing sites, advertising, or campaign work.
- Strong understanding of UX principles.
- Understands product management and product lifecycles—again, has built a digital project from scratch before.
- Not an asshole—please leave your ego at the door. You should apply to this position not for the prestige or title it provides you, but for the work, people, and experience that comes with it.
- Ability to be both a leader, listener and a mentor for more junior designers. Can actively build the skills of their team members to make them more successful in their careers—You don’t let your ego get in the way of helping the team accomplish their goals.
- Desire to be active in the community and seek out potential new team members you’d like to work with.
- You want to build incredible products for incredible clients with an incredible group of people.