Reporting to the Supervisor, Digital Communications, this role is responsible for building, maintaining and enhancing a strong, cohesive look and feel across all Town of Milton print and digital collateral. This position is responsible for the overall visual identity and artistic direction for all communications, marketing, and signage produced. This role performs both a graphic design function as well as an oversight function for external vendors.
Visual Identity and Artistic Direction
- Maintains and upholds visual identity standards associated with the Town of Milton’s brand as a “place of possibility”.
- Delivers compelling designs that are on brand within a quick turnaround, and that meet Accessibility Standards.
- Develops fresh, exciting concepts for all external collateral issued by the Town of Milton that resonate with target audiences and meet or exceed leading industry standards.
- Monitors national and international trends in place branding, municipal government design and destination marketing.
Graphic Design and Production
- Oversees design and production of all Town of Milton external collateral from concept to completion.
- Designs all projects, campaigns and collateral associated with in-house service commitments.
- Conceptualizes innovative design solutions to engage target audiences, for example, interactive digital design, interactive installations and signage.
- Creates innovative web graphics and multimedia such banners, videos and animation, and provides advice on look, image and identity of corporate websites.
- Mentors and coordinates the work of a Design and Communications Clerk as required.
- Develop and track graphic design projects using the Town’s online project management tool. Develop boards, assign incoming projects, and manage the communication and reporting of campaigns.
- Establishes protocols, deadlines and approval policies for in-house design and production services.
- Maintains line of sight to all design and production deadlines and communicates with Communications & Marketing team and client groups when issues arise that may impede project deadlines.
- In collaboration with the Supervisor, Digital Communications and Communications & Marketing Advisors, tracks workflows and organizes work between in house graphic design services and external vendors.
Vendor Management & Accountability
- Works with the Communications & Marketing team to develop an overflow process to proactively manage client expectations when deadlines and volumes require external services.
- Maintains a roster of vendors of record for use by the Town in accordance with the Town of Milton procurement policies.
- Holds external vendors accountable for timelines, customer service, product quality and high design standards.
- Provides advice on project expenses and ensures cost effectiveness for divisional and client budgets.
- Tracks projects and costs for external vendors and assesses the viability and cost effectiveness of internal resources. Develops business cases for internal resources as required.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Graphic Design or related field of study required.
- Minimum six (6) years graphic design experience in complex organizations or agency settings required.
- Experience managing workflows in a high volume work environment with competing priorities and demands.
- Proven experience overseeing the entire lifecycle of product development from ideation to production and installation required.
- Experience in an artistic direction role preferred.
- Experience in digital design preferred.
- Registered Graphic Designer (RGD) designation required.
- Proven experience in developing strong vendor relationships and holding vendors to high standards for timeliness, project management, product quality and design required
- Expert skills in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and other applicable graphic design software required