About Bitmaker Labs
At Bitmaker Labs, our vision is to have more developers generating more code that enacts more change in the world, one commit at a time. Our goal is to launch the careers of hundreds of thousands of developers by providing high-quality, mentor-driven environments for our students to quickly learn the fundamentals of full-stack development.
What We Look For
Our students put their future in our hands. They leave their jobs, families, homes and lives, trusting us to teach them tools that will turn their coding dreams into reality. At Bitmaker, we only hire people that have complete respect and appreciation for their leaps of faith.
Like Shopify, Moz, Etsy and Zappos before us, we’re working hard and consciously to build a culture roadmap for the Bitmaker classroom and team. Being a Bitmaker means that you’ll help us begin to define what “collective culture” means to us, and help us implement it every day.
Finally, we strongly, strongly believe in gender, race, cultural, sexual and age diversity and actively encourage the best of all backgrounds to apply to our programs, and our job openings.
About This Position
We’re looking for a community gardener to create content, take on social media marketing, help in aspects of student management, maintain hiring partner relationships, attend or manage events while staying accountable through smart analytics.
The person we hire will be very strong in content creation, adept in project management without supervision, and genuinely love interacting with people. This is an important role at Bitmaker with quite a bit of customer-facing interactions. As such, the community gardener will be reporting directly to the Chief Marketing Officer.
Three Gardens To Tend
You’ll be spending your time divided between three critical groups at Bitmaker:
Our students are the most important part of Bitmaker Labs. We will trust you to interface with them constantly; to help them have a more productive and memorable experience. You’ll do this by:
- Optimizing their first-impression experience. You’ll take over the new student process, and refine what is in place today
- Creating or facilitating field trips at local events and startups
- Re-imagining and implementing our current mentor and alumni programs
- Managing Bitmaker “Think Thursday”s and other events
- Helping them with job placements (you won’t be leading this effort, but you’ll find yourself able to help them)
You’ll take over the organization, coordination and automation of hiring week. To do this, you’ll:
- Schedule interviews between potential employers and aspiring students, making sure that people know when and where they need to be
- Work with our in-house development team to optimize our online hiring week application so that it is tailored to your specific needs
Our Inbound Community (Local & Global)
The perception of Bitmaker is important to us, and you’ll be key in increasing our brand awareness, both online and offline. This means that you will:
- Manage the strategy and day to day operations of our social media channels
- Create and manage content for our blog, newsletters, etc.
- Get inspired by the KISSmetrics & Clarity.fm approach to guest posts, and make this happen for Bitmaker
- Work with the Chief Marketing Officer and/or our students to create brand awareness campaigns
- Occasionally cover industry events on our behalf
- Monitor industry (Bitmaker, competitor, etc) mentions and dispatch or respond accordingly
Our Ideal Candidate For This Position
You identify with the third paragraph within the “What We Look For” section, and have
- A solid understanding / appreciation of coding (you won’t need to do any development work, but we’d like you to understand and empathize with our students and the reasons they are here)
- Proven record in using analytics to quantify marketing efforts
- You are the living embodiment of DARC (See Halligan and Shah)
- You have experience working in the education and/or startup sector
- While level of education is nice, practical experience is key. We’ll be very impressed if you can point us to content you’ve created that shows your approach to social media marketing.
Our Community Gardener must be able to:
- Show a public trail of content generation, including blog posts and marketing campaigns
- Demonstrate their strengths in project management with little oversight
- Wow and charm us with their outgoing personality
- Be reasonably passionate about startups and development
Since this position requires daily interaction with the Bitmaker team and students, the Community Gardener must live in Toronto or the GTA.
Oh, And One More Thing
We know that this job description is extensive. We hope that you won’t be deterred and will take the time to put in a thoughtful application so that we can start having a conversation. If you have any questions or concerns about this job description, please contact sean at bitmakerlabs dot com.