The Community Engagement & Government Relations role will play an integral role in supporting government relations & community engagement initiatives. Reporting directly to the Agency Director, the Community Engagement & Government Relations role will provide assistance with government relations, grant writing, proposal writing, research, data collection and reporting. The position will also support community engagement, coordinating outreach to community groups and supporting planning of community events.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Outreach to support Mad Hatter community engagement initiatives, including phone calls, emails, mailings, and meetings where possible
- Update and maintain all community engagement documents, including plans, schedules, and associated databases
- Attend and assist in coordination of community engagement initiatives and events, including educational workshops and celebratory events
- Support participation and attendance of community participants at community engagement initiatives
- Maintain and update relevant government relations databases and documents
Proposal (RFP) and Grant Writing
- Determines proposal and grant concept by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs; studying requests for proposal (RFPs) and grants; attending strategy meetings.
- Meets proposal and grant deadline by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, and approval; entering and monitoring tracking data; coordinating requirements with contributors; contributing proposal status information to review meetings; transmitting proposals.
- Gathers proposal and grant information by identifying sources of information; coordinating submissions and collections; identifying and communicating risks associated with proposals.
- Develops proposal and grant by assembling information including project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation; writing, revising, and editing drafts including executive summaries, conclusions, and organization credentials.
- Prepares presentation by evaluating text, graphics, and binding; coordinating printing.
- Maintains quality results by using templates; following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone; maintaining proposal support databases.
- Obtains approvals by reviewing proposal with key providers and project managers.
- Improves proposal and grant-writing results by evaluating and re-designing processes, approach, coordination; implementing changes.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; maintaining personal networks.
- Accomplishes organizational goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong proficiency in letter composition
- Excellent computer skills
- Strong customer service skills and professional telephone manner
- Previous experience and familiarity with arts, event management, government relations or community outreach
- Knowledge and interest in the workings of government
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work proactively in a fast-paced environment
- Patience with some repetitive tasks
- Post-secondary education or equivalent combination of Arts Management, Fundraising, Marketing, Policy, Communications, Community Development or Event Planning
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively as part of a team
- Detail oriented, ensuring accuracy of information, objectivity and advanced research capabilities
- Ability to work in a fast paced, demanding, challenging and multi-tasking environment
- Customer service oriented, creative problem solving skills
- A sense of humour and a positive energy