Location Bale/Robe, Ethiopia
Start Date Nov 2018 - Jan 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents only
The Volunteer’s Role
The objective of this placement is to develop publicity strategies to efficiently use public relations in order to meet organizational objectives; to provide support to build strong relations with the community and service users and; to train staff effectively work with service users and community based on need assessments.
As a volunteer, you will:
-Participate in developing a customer service standards and protocols
-Collect and analyze data to monitor the level of customer service
-Advise the university regarding Communication and Public Relation Materials
-Coaching/Mentoring and conduct training need assessment and capacity building sessions to staff/management
-Creating linkage and partnership with other higher educational institutions, NGO, other organizations
Essential Academic Qualifications:
M.A in Public Relations and Communications or in International Development or in Community Development or in International relations or Journalism or related field
Essential Professional Background:
-At least 2 years’ experience in public relations or related field
- Strengthening Public Relation office of the university/college, ability to communicate effectively
About Our Partner
Mission: Madawalabu University is devoted to the sustainable socio-economic development of the country through provision of quality education, understanding community based research and delivering needs based community services.
Vision: Madawalabu University aspires to be one of the leading national universities and to be recognized internationally for providing quality education, problem solving research and community services
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.