To inspire support and funding for excellence in child health.
BC Children’s Hospital is one of the most recognized and highly regarded institutions in the province; 95 per cent of British Columbians are aware of our brand. Over the past decade, BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, which supports the activities of the hospital (including its mental health and research programs) and Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children, has grown dramatically in terms of scope of activity and fundraising success. Since 2004-05 revenues have more than doubled, reaching $96.2 million in 2014-15. Today, following the successful completion of our $200-million capital campaign, we are building on our strengths in annual and major gift fundraising, and marketing and communications.
We are always on the lookout for more advocates for pediatric care and compelling storytellers to join our team. If you are committed to aligning donor interests with positive outcomes for children in BC and the Yukon, we want to hear from you. Come grow with us!
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a member of the Marketing & Communications team, you will be responsible for the development of compelling narratives in all forms of print, video and digital communications in order to meet key stakeholder needs and build the brand profile of BC Children’s Hospital.
You will work with the internal team and external partners to develop a variety of content for internal channels and earned/paid media. In addition, you will be responsible for coordinating, delivering and filing content using a systematic approach that ensures time and resource efficiency.
More specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Participating in the development of the annual brand plan including the content calendar;
- Writing and editing engaging short- and long-form copy for materials such as the annual report, magazine, impact reports, video scripts, speaking notes, presentations, print/digital advertising, social media content, brochures and e-newsletters;
- Coordinating content development from various contributing sources including other departments, contractors and other external partners;
- Managing photography needs for some projects including sourcing images and/or scheduling and attending photo shoots;
- Conducting research and interviews with hospital staff, patient families, donors and other stakeholders with sensitivity to develop print and digital content;
- Managing the delivery of content to internal design team members and/or external partners;
- Ensuring consistent and compelling tone and execution of the brand guidelines in all materials;
- Providing strategic, professional and innovative communications advice;
- Fostering collaborative relationships with foundation/hospital staff as well as other internal and external stakeholders, partners and suppliers;
- Managing all files using a systematic approach for ease of use and time efficiency;
- Meeting project objectives, quality standards and required timing for all projects;
- Managing all projects and/or campaigns in accordance with the goals and priorities of the Marketing & Communications team;
- Working closely with all members of the Marketing & Communications team to ensure a fully integrated approach that maximizes impact in the most resource-efficient manner.
As the successful candidate, you will have a university degree or community college diploma in public relations, marketing, communications, journalism or a related area, and 3-5 years of experience in a communications copywriting role (or the equivalent acceptable combination of education and experience).
Additionally, you demonstrate the following:
- Ability to think and act strategically, thrive in a high-demand team and communicate sensitive information;
- Experience copywriting in long-copy formats including printed reports/blogs as well as short- copy formats including social media posts/advertising;
- Strong writing, editing skills and proofreading skills with an ability to convey compelling stories for a variety of audiences;
- Ability to translate complex and technical information into layperson’s terms;
- Solid oral and written communication skills;
- Well-developed project management, systems development and organizational skills;
- Detail-oriented with a keen eye for accuracy;
- Ability to multi-task and constantly reprioritize work in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
- Understanding of the fundraising cycle and prior experience and/or knowledge of the non-profit, hospital, or health-care sector are assets.