CNIB provides community-based support, knowledge and a national voice to ensure Canadians who are blind or partially sighted have the confidence, skills and opportunities to fully participate in life. With 900 employees and 10,000 volunteers working out of offices across the country, CNIB serves thousands of Canadians of all ages. For more information, please visit www.cnib.ca or call 1-800-563-2642.
This position is responsible for the creation of visual design to support CNIB’s diverse marketing, communications and fundraising portfolio, with a particular focus on executing creative for direct marketing vehicles. In covering a broad range of publications and promotional materials, this position will ensure that the visual design communicates the desired message, and functions within varying technical and performance specifications.
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
- Works collaboratively with creative services group to take creative concepts through to print-ready artwork for use in publications, promotional materials and direct marketing vehicles. Direct marketing vehicles would include letters, leaflets, brochures, envelopes and donations forms.
- Provide expertise and a creative input from the inception stage of design work through to its final production, liaising with marketing and communications team to ensure initial concepts and ideas are explored and developed to the full.
- Ensures all marketing materials reflect CNIB’s brand voice and related standards.
- Where applicable, provides visual design support to the Digital team.
- Continually develops skills in the latest desktop publishing software, printing and graphic design techniques, and applies these as necessary in order to maintain and enhance the increasing expectation and requirements of internal stakeholders and fully use the potential of computer design packages.
- Keeps abreast of all new graphic design industry trends.
- Provides team support in specific administrative functions as required/assigned. This may include aspect may include aspects of print production, from scheduling, copy checking, proof approvals, obtaining quotes and attending press approvals.
- Collaborates with members of the creative services team to conceptualize and deliver creative campaigns, prioritize requests and identify capacity issues.
- Liaises and builds relationships with internal clients across all functional areas of CNIB, as well as senior volunteers and external contacts as required.
- Serves as a resource to external photographers and graphic designers as required.
- Participates in committees and team meetings as required.
- Provides strategic and creative solutions to complex problems.
- Manages many projects simultaneously, while still meeting deadlines and producing high-quality work.
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
- University graduate in graphic design or an equivalent combination of education, training and expertise.
- Minimum of three to five years experience as a graphic designer in an agency or corporate environment.
- Excellent conceptual creative thinking skills.
- Fluency in current graphic design practices and latest desktop publishing software, such as Quark Xpress, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Understanding of and experience in corporate branding, layout, colour theory and typography in both print and digital media.
- Ability to effective to manage multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Superior customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to relate effectively with people at all levels both internal and external to CNIB.
- A collaborative work style, with experience working closely with brand managers, copywriters, graphic designers, translators.
- Willingness to work flexible hours to accommodate periods of significant pressure; extended working hours as appropriate.