Clinical & Systems Transformation (CST) is one of the largest healthcare projects in British Columbia’s history. It is a joint undertaking between Vancouver Coastal Health, the Provincial Health Services Authority and Providence Health Care to complete a large-scale transformation of clinical practices and systems. This is an exciting initiative that will deliver key benefits for our patients, healthcare providers and health organizations.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Communications Specialist CST
Temporary Full Time (until December 14, 2018)
Reporting to the Communications Director for the Clinical & Systems Transformation (CST) project, the Communications Specialist has a passion for delivering impactful campaigns and communications initiatives to meet communications objectives and support the successful delivery of the project. This person is accountable for recommending approaches, planning, implementing and evaluating high-quality communications materials as well as helping to build and protect the CST project’s reputation. The successful applicant naturally enjoys identifying compelling stories to match audience interests; is an exemplary writer; and knows how to build and maintain content plans. This professional is a strong critical thinking; well-organized and deadline driven; and able to effectively engage stakeholders at different levels. Communicating with audiences across the three Health Organizations and within the project, this person is a flexible, team-player who is able to understand the emerging communications needs of stakeholders and knows how to navigate through complexity.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Delivers ongoing communications products, discreet campaigns and events from end to end (planning, implementation and evaluation) ensuring they are effective, on time and within budget.
- Identifies and writes compelling content and stories for a wide variety of audiences and channels.
- Builds and maintains content plans to support effective communications activities.
- Takes and writes effective briefs, and recommends approaches for new products to meet emerging needs
- Provides high-quality support to the Communications Director and, as required, the project’s Clinical Leadership Team, Change Management Team and Transformational Learning Team.
- Helps ensure all project partners, including intra-project audiences, have been effectively engaged.
- Identifies potential challenges and opportunities that could affect the success of the CST project as they arise and recommends approaches to address or capitalize on them.
- Uses Visual Brand Guidelines and content standards to protect the project’s integrity.
- Engages with a broad range of stakeholders both intra-project and across the three Health Organizations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
- Education or experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as Journalism, Communications, Marketing or Public Relations. A strong communicator with five (5) years’ recent, related experience.
- Experience in a health care setting an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills, with exemplary attention to detail.
- Demonstrated critical thinking coupled with the ability to produce effective products and campaigns.
- Demonstrated content planning skills.
- Demonstrated solutions-focus, positive attitude, maturity and ability to engage a variety of busy stakeholders.
- Demonstrated desktop publishing skills desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate events and forums for communications purposes.
- Demonstrated public sector experience and an understanding of complex change projects preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact and diplomacy, and excellent decision making skills and flexibility to reprioritize quickly to meet changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines.