At BCIT, we champion diversity of experiences, ideas, cultures and perspectives, to foster a community in which equality and inclusivity are embedded in everything we do. We embrace endless innovation, ignited by imagination and creativity, to improve our approaches, opportunities and outcomes. We strive to achieve excellence in everything we do, to accomplish real, measurable results. We believe in the power of collaboration to amplify our efforts and begin every interaction with a foundation of respect for others’ expertise, insights and inherent worth. Our overall vision is to empower people, share BC, and inspire global progress. If this resonates with you, come join our team as we continue to provide practical education for a complex world.
BCIT’s Marketing and Communications department is seeking a regular, full-time Communications Specialist. Working closely with the MarComm management team, the broader Marketing & Communications team, all schools and departments, and the President’s Office, the Communications Specialist develops and executes a variety of communications and content strategies a to support the BCIT Strategic Plan. This position plays a critical role in the development and execution of highly targeted and innovative marketing and communications plans, the pursuit of experiential and recruitment targets, and leveraging Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and data to create customized digital communications solutions for a variety of stakeholders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implements best-in-class project management practices for a diverse range of clients and projects, providing recommendations, driving projects from start to finish, and building positive and collaborative relationships with a multitude of stakeholders.
- Consults and collaborates to develop communications strategies and responses, including reputation and profile management, and sensitive and confidential issues.
- Drives cultural change and influences engagement through communications, from audience and stakeholder analysis through implementation and success metrics tracking.
- Creates, recommends, and advises on internal communications best practices for all audiences including students, faculty, and staff.
- Creates strategic content for all BCIT digital channels including web, intranet, social media, newsletters, executive communications, etc.
- Acts as a key contributor to the Institute’s crisis communications plan and implementation.
- Provides communications counsel and strategy to support senior leadership in proactively identifying and mitigating issues.
- Provides strategic communications support to senior leadership, including speech writing, strategic briefs, and messaging in support of the Strategic Plan.
- Manages the Institute’s internal communication strategy and channels, leading and coordinating the overall BCIT internal communications program from strategy to execution.
- Provides communications oversight and support for critical Institute events such as the President’s Forums and employee town hall meetings.
- Oversees the development and continuing evolution of the Institute’s key messaging guide and content style guide. Monitors and maintains best practices and consistency.
- Supports the emergency management team by advising, developing, and implementing crisis communications strategies, and serves as a member of BCIT’s Emergency Operations Centre.
Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
• Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade for this position.
The qualifications section for this position was developed using the approved job evaluation plan, agreed to between the BCGEU and BCIT. The qualifications represent the minimum qualifications required in the future (i.e. to be reflected in job postings) and do not reflect the incumbent’s existing qualifications.
• Completion of Grade 12, plus completion of a four-year degree in Marketing, Communications, or relevant field, including courses in writing, publishing, editing and marketing.
- Two years of general experience plus four years of relevant, practical experience in a relevant position.
- Crisis communications or emergency preparedness experience.
Software/Computer Application(s) and Expertise:
• Strong computing and social media skills, including fluency in content management, presentation, word processing software applications, and social media platforms.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills. A strong grasp of the English language.
- A proven self-started with the ability to think critically, strategically, and hit the ground running.
- Ability to interview, articulate, and write for a variety of audiences and communication tools.
- Proven editing and proofreading skills at an advanced level.
- A strong grasp of best practices for internal communications, including experience performing internal communications and consultation/senior advising functions.
- Professional demeanour with a demonstrated ability to use sound judgment, tact, and discretion in dealing with a variety of sensitive and confidential issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to function effectively as a member of a team.
Administrative Skills (e.g. prioritizing, minute taking, wp speed, etc.):
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines, and effectively handle changing priorities.
- Experience with executive communications functions such as preparing briefs, agendas, and speech writing.