Communications Specialist full-time
Manulife Securities (the dealer) represents a significant growth opportunity within Individual Wealth Management (IWM), as well as across all of Manulife Financial. With a current network of 1200+ advisors across Canada, Manulife Securities is committed to providing advisors with the tools and resources that enable them to meet their clients' needs.
With a clear understanding of the complexities and interdependencies of an independent dealer, along with an appreciation for a complex matrix environment, this role supports the development, positioning, timing and execution of strategic and all day-to-day communication initiatives for the dealer. This role also provides assistance to various departments within the dealer regarding the most effective communications mediums applicable to all our constituents, including key stakeholders, advisors and employees.
The Communications Specialist is accountable for:
- Overseeing communications related to projects supported by the dealer's Project Management Office (PMO), as well as division-wide initiatives managed by Canadian Division PMO.
- Developing and executing communication strategies, tactical plans and deadline-driven communications to support the dealer's education and recognition conferences.
- Developing and executing promotional communications across multiple mediums (electronic and print) that are engaging, informative and relevant to the audience.
- Developing marketing materials (website content, flyers, client letters, etc.) for advisor use in promoting dealer driven initiatives.
- Assisting in the development and execution of advertising initiatives to effectively promote the dealer's value proposition and indirectly support recruiting efforts led by Business Development.
- Working closely with key individuals in the Business Development team to provide communications support that will position Manulife Securities as the dealer of choice for independent advisors.
- Execute and manage an evolving marketing and communication strategy for the dealer that is effective and relevant to all key constituents.
- Act as the liaison with internal business units as well as business partners within IWM and Canadian Division to ensure all communications are aligned with the dealer's overall strategic themes:
- Work closely with internal business partners to determine content, timing and key messages for regular advisor updates
- As communications lead, work closely with the PMO to ensure dealer projects and initiatives requiring communications support are handled in the most effective and cost-efficient manner possible
- Develop relationships within IWM and Canadian Division to ensure that we work in a collaborative fashion to reach mutual goals and objectives as it relates to increasing Manulife product sales
- Explore new and creative ways to reach out to our network of independent advisors
- Act as an advocate for the dealer's advisors and continually seek new and improved methods of communication to "break through the clutter."
- Work closely with the Director, Marketing & Communications to:
- Ensure that the dealer's key conferences (Investment Forum, President's Circle, Circle of Excellence) provide a true value-add to our advisors and support the dealership's value proposition
- Represent the dealer on internal projects, as well as those that may be cross-divisional within the Canadian Division
- The Communications Specialist owns quality assurance and validates target audiences for appropriate communication distribution.
- Degree/Diploma in Journalism or Communications
- 3-5 years' work experience in developing and implementing effective communications plans and solutions to meet business needs
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong writing skills with the ability to create content for multiple audiences in a variety of media
- Skilled in the use of new e-technologies for communications purposes, email, mobile, webinars, web writing, social media, webcasts, podcasts, etc.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to juggle projects, prioritize and meet tight deadlines
- Experience with developing ad copy
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills with the ability to create and build working relationships across all areas of the organization in a professional manner
- Creative thinker and strong problem solver
- Ability to work in a complex matrix environment structure with multiple business partners and distribution channels
- In depth knowledge of business needs, and dealer/investment industry practices
- Advanced level of proficiency in MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Financial services experience considered a definite asset
- Knowledge of Manulife channels, products and technologies would be a definite asset
About Manulife Financial
Manulife Financial is a leading Canada-based financial services group with principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States. Clients look to Manulife for strong, reliable, trustworthy and forward-thinking solutions for their most significant financial decisions. Our international network of employees, agents and distribution partners offers financial protection and wealth management products and services to millions of clients. We also provide asset management services to institutional customers. Funds under management by Manulife Financial and its subsidiaries were C$515 billion (US$523 billion) as at September 30, 2012. The Company operates as Manulife Financial in Canada and Asia and primarily as John Hancock in the United States.