Canuck Place Children’s Hospice provides 24/7 comprehensive continuum of care for children with life-threatening illnesses and their families. We are looking for a COORDINATOR, COMMUNICATIONS & SOCIAL MEDIA
Reporting to the Director, Community Partnerships, the Coordinator, Communications and Social Media is accountable for participating in the development of key messaging and communications plans; managing communications projects; creating and implementing effective social media strategies; producing a variety of collateral material and coordinating video production; and media relationships to promote public awareness.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Successful completion of a recognized Degree or Diploma in a related field such as communications or public relations supplemented with a minimum of three (3) years related communications/marketing experience including experience using web design and hosting programs; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Membership in Association of Fund Raising Professionals is an asset.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of communications principles and practices
- Knowledge of social media principles and practices
- Excellent knowledge of business English, correct punctuation and grammatical usage and good vocabulary
- Knowledge of web design & hosting programs, specifically: Smallbox proprietary software, Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver and some Illustrator programs
- Proven writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines, keep calm under pressure
- Ability to plan, develop, execute and complete projects.
- Ability to develop and layout collateral material
- Ability to develop and maintain internal and external relationships
- Ability to plan, prioritize, organize and be self-directed when required
- Ability to problem-solve
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team
- Ability to synthesize and effectively communicate information to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to work effectively with volunteers and community groups.
- Participates in the development of Hospice wide key messaging and communications plans; circulates messaging through press releases.
- Manages communications projects and activities by identifying and ranking priorities, monitoring progress and providing regular progress reports.
- Creates implements and manages an effective social media strategy that uses social media marketing techniques to increase awareness of CPCH and donations. Monitors trends in social media tools and applications and makes changes as necessary.
- Uploads seasonal e-appeals, Precious Gifts and Precious Pages, event management sites, articles, audio files, images, editorial and marketing copy, photographs and videos to web sites and web blogs. Maintains Press Room and Photo Gallery. Creates test page navigation links, monitors site traffic and reports usage.
- Manages on line discussion forums by monitoring discussions and responding in a timely manner, ensures that the positive messaging is maintained in the community by protecting and supporting brand.
- Produces a variety of collateral materials such as semi-annual newsletters, E-news, Annual Report, brochures, handbooks, direct mail letters, special events flyers, print ads, information packages by writing content, selecting photographs or coordinating photographers, preparing graphics or coordinating graphic designs, managing revision processes, communicating changes to graphic designers and coordinating printing and distribution.
- Cultivates relations with the media to promote public awareness and understanding of CPCH policies, programs, services and initiatives; arranges for TV and radio media pieces, drafts and distributes media releases and advisories for events and announcements; monitors media and prepares monthly clip reports for inclusion in Board reports and maintains up to date media contact lists.
- Provides logistical and communications backup support at fundraising and special events by setting agenda/timelines for events, being the secondary (and sometimes main) contact for media, guests, vendors, partners etc. who attend; ensuring there are enough power supply, cameras, filming, microphones etc. and that Media Kits/station are available.
- Organizes public relations opportunities for donors, celebrities, sponsor etc. by identifying appropriate family and arranging times for them to attend photo opportunities, ensuring consents for photos are in place and giving background information about the family to the sponsor, group etc. at the event. Advises sponsors, celebrities etc. who are meeting families and children in process and protocol to ensure that they feel welcome and have a sense of how to act.
- Assists media consultants with media events and public relations opportunities by greeting media, setting up rooms, arranging meetings with children and families, ensuring appropriate consents are in place.
- Coordinates promotional video production and editing and produces internal videos. Manages relationships with external video editors to ensure productions meet
- Ensures consistency of format and adherence to standards for correspondence and informational material sent on behalf of CPCH.
- Performs other related functions as required.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. If you are interested in a job where you can truly make a difference in the lives of children and families, please send a cover letter along with your resume, in either MS Word or PDF-file format, by Tuesday, May 24th to: