Posting Close Date: 16 September 2016
The University of Victoria is one of Victoria's largest employers and one of Canada’s best diversity employers. Together we are more than 5,000 dedicated faculty, librarians and staff supporting the University of Victoria’s diverse academic programs, world-class research and commitment to civic engagement.
Reporting to the University Librarian, the Communications Officer (CO) works with University Libraries colleagues and various UVic divisions and departments to implement and promote the objectives of the Libraries’ strategic directions and annual operational plan.
The CO supports the Libraries’ community engagement strategy by serving as the creative lead for external communications projects promoting community awareness of the Libraries’ diverse range of information resources and programs.
The CO meets routinely with the Libraries’ Coordination Team (i.e. senior management group), partners with senior library managers on external communications and community engagement priorities; provides project management support including identifying key communication goals and outcomes; researches, coordinates, and prepares print and electronic materials for external audiences; manages designated sections of the Libraries’ website; coordinates social media for the Libraries; and provides advice and guidance, as necessary, in internal communications and other related communication services.
This position requires a degree in a Communications related field (journalism, public relations etc.), and at least four years of experience in communications or a related field.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge requirements include:
- Strong working knowledge of standard office equipment and software, technology-based communications media and desktop publishing
- Understands best practices in community engagement, web design and content management
- Proficient and experienced working with various social media platforms at a strategic level
- Effective project and strategic planning practices and methodologies
In addition this position requires:
- Ability to exercise appropriate initiative and good judgment
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Excellent writing and verbal skills essential
- Ability to edit and proofread; understanding of graphic design, print production processes, and digital photography
- Ability to work with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure of deadlines on simultaneous projects
- Ability to produces a wide variety of communications materials in support of Libraries’ priorities, goals, and activities
- Excellent interpersonal skills including diplomacy and tact
Assets or Preferences:
- Experience working in an academic environment
About UVic The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the university. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application and hiring process may contact Grace Wong Sneddon, Director, Academic Leadership Initiatives and Advisor to the Provost on Equity and Diversity at email@example.com. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.