THE OTTAWA ART GALLERY SEEKS A COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Submission deadline: Friday, December 31, 2015
The Ottawa Art Gallery (OAG) seeks a well-rounded communications professional to join its team as a Communications Officer. The position is central to supporting the gallerys overall communications and marketing (c&m) activities. The officer helps build public awareness of the gallery, especially in the Ottawa area.
Reporting to the Communications and Marketing Manager, the officer supports the gallerys overall public relations, media relations, advertising, social media, graphic design and other communications needs as required by the gallery. The Communications Officer also plays an integral role in audience development and outreach to support the gallerys various departments like Development, Public Programming, and ART Rental and Sales, in consultation with the Ottawa Art Gallerys (OAG) senior staff.
- Writing, editing, proofing deliverables like newsletters, advertisements, direct marketing emails, website copy, etc.
- Promoting the gallerys exhibitions, public programs, and events via advertising, direct marketing and social media campaigns
- Liaising with staff members, members of the media, advertisers, vendors, community partners and the general public
- Working with the gallerys online properties which includes and not limited to OAG corporate website(s), social media channels (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram) and e-blasts
- Assisting the review of c&m products, procedures and plans
- Support the development of reports, grant proposals, and advocacy documents
- Post-secondary education in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Advertising, Arts Administration, Studio Art, Design or a related field
- Ability to multitask
- Demonstrated ability to work in consultation with others and independently
- Demonstrated ability to produce C&M products, as listed above
- Strong project management skills
- Experience with Microsoft operating system, software and online applications such as Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, website Content Management Systems, and social media applications (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Hootsuite, Meet Edgar)
- Proficiency in both official languages (English or French)
- Experience in the coordination of translation services (English to French)
- Production experience in other media (audio, video, online)
- Specific knowledge of or experience in the field of visual arts, arts organizations, festivals or culture
- Knowledge of cloud server administration, like Dropbox
- Specific knowledge of or experience in the field of visual arts, arts organizations, festivals, or event planning.
This is a 12 months contract, full time position ($30-35K annually) with the opportunity to become a permanent position. Interviews will be conducted in January with a February start date.
The Ottawa Art Gallery is an equal opportunity employer and appreciates the interest of all applicants. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
OVERVIEW OF THE GALLERY
The Ottawa Art Gallery is an independent non-profit public art gallery committed to the acquisition, presentation, interpretation and dissemination of contemporary art for the benefit of the local arts community. Its programs explore a variety of issues and include exhibitions, talks, lectures, tours and publications.
The gallery has a growing permanent collection of historical and contemporary works associated with the region. It also houses the Firestone Collection of Canadian Art, which consists of more than 1,600 works of art assembled by Ottawa collectors O.J. and Isobel Firestone, who acquired the works from the early 1950s to the 1970s.