Tolko Industries is seeking an experienced communications professional to lead the development and execution of Tolko’s communications program. Working directly with the executive team, the Communications Manager will develop and execute the overall communications plan for the company, while supporting the corporate vision and promoting the corporate strategic plan for internal and external stakeholders.
In addition to promoting and protecting Tolko’s brand and reputation, the Communications Manager will provide continuous support to all functional areas across the company, as it relates to the communication of key messages, issues and initiatives. This may include the development and execution of communications training programs to improve interdepartmental communication, increase Tolko’s brand awareness and provide clear, concise and up-to-date information for all internal stakeholders.
Additionally, the Communications Manager will maintain accountability for Tolko’s internal and external communications platforms (T-net and Tolko.com), including corporate newsletters, to ensure that relevant information regarding successes, issues, initiatives, activities, events and opportunities of interest are effectively communicated across the company.
The Communications Manager will also manage external communications and Tolko’s brand awareness that directly impact social licensing and the ability to effectively operate at the local, provincial and federal level.
- Working with the executive team, provides timely updates to the Board of Directors and Shareholders on major positive and negative issues affecting Tolko;
- Advises the CEO and senior leadership team on communications strategies and solutions to major corporate issues and challenges;
- Internally, ensures employees are aware of changes and projects within the company to build pride and engagement;
- Determines communications strategy and executes programs to deliver communications objectives throughout the company;
- Identifies, coordinates and implements programs to deliver on the communications plan; monitors, evaluates and reports on effectiveness of plan;
- Provides effective communications management of events such as mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, and facility openings and closures;
- Creates and leads Tolko’s social media policy and stakeholder outreach and provides guidance for the efficient and effective use of existing and new forms of social media;
- Selects and works with the appropriate external media sources to communicate news or events of interest to the general public and to manage the messaging of internal issues to the public (e.g. safety related events, acquisitions etc.);
- Provides expertise and assistance (including communications training if needed) to executives, managers and staff in delivering internal and/or external messages in a clear and consistent manner that incorporates Tolko’s branding message;
- Provides tools and training to improve Tolko’s interdepartmental communications;
- Evaluates and selects the best media combination to use to maximize reach and value of communications. Considers new systems and processes for the coordination and distribution of media in all formats;
- Manages the Communications team, setting goals and priorities for the roles, directing activities, and overseeing the execution of the tasks and initiatives assigned;
- Supports the career development of direct reports through coaching, feedback and performance management.
- Ten (10) years related experience with, and knowledge of, effective communication strategies at the corporate level;
- University degree in Business Administration with a specialization in Communications and/or Marketing;
- Must have a continuing record of professional development experience in leading through influence – takes initiative, is accountable, can clearly articulate and model expectations and hold others accountable in a positive and effective manner;
- Superior relationship builder who possesses the presence, knowledge, expertise and communications ability to generate respect and positive collaborative relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholder groups;
- Confident, articulate with the ability to share ideas while maintaining a strong team atmosphere;
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to effectively multitask and prioritize key objectives;
- Proven ability to make appropriate and timely decisions while meeting challenging work goals.
- Care for yourself and your family with competitive pay and exceptional benefits
- Work with the best and brightest in the industry
- Live where you work
- Work at a company where safety is a core value
- Be part of a sustainable and environmentally responsible company
Build your career with us and apply today!
When you join Tolko, you are signing on with an industry leader in world markets that has built success through three generations with over 3000 employees and growing. Our structure and culture encourage innovation, growth, and change in an open environment.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.