ORGANIZATION: InspireHealth, Vancouver, BC
TITLE: Communications Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
PURPOSE: To advance's InspireHealth's vision, strategic plan, and presence through the management of InspireHealth's communication initiatives
START DATE: ASAP
SALARY RANGE: As per skills and experience
InspireHealth (IH) is Canada's first and foremost medically-led integrative cancer care centre. We are a world leader in providing cancer care programs that optimize recovery and survival. Integrative care actively engages patients to take charge of their own health. InspireHealth combines healthful nutrition, exercise, and emotional and immune support with standard cancer treatments. InspireHealth inspires patients and their family and friends to greater levels of health, wellbeing, and prevention.
InspireHealth's programs are evidence-based and our Research Department and medical doctors apply leading-edge immune system research to optimize cancer healing and recovery. Research at InspireHealth demonstrates that participation in InspireHealth programs substantially improves survival across a spectrum of common cancers.
InspireHealth's approach makes financial sense. By reducing the risk of cancer recurrence and the associated treatment and human costs, InspireHealth saves substantial healthcare costs.
The BC Government has recently announced that they are funding the expansion of InspireHealth with the goal of providing access to integrative care for all residents living with cancer --a first in the world.
The new InspireHealth centres will open in Victoria, Kelowna, Abbotsford, and Prince George, with all centres fully operational by September 2012. In addition, we will be establishing a 'virtual' InspireHealth centre to serve rural and remote parts of British Columbia and adding more services and staff to our Vancouver centre. This means that every British Columbian will have access to the best cancer care possible --one that integrates treatment and health.
The Successful Candidate:
This opportunity is ideal for an individual with an interest in Integrative Medicine, and in being part of an organization with a focus on healing. We are looking for an individual who is available immediately to manage our communication initiatives as we grow. The successful candidate will play an integral role in the communication of InspireHealth's vision, strategic plan, and presence throughout BC and beyond.
In collaboration with the Director of Operations and other senior management, the successful candidate will develop, enhance, and implement InspireHealth's internal and external communications plans, encompassing all distribution channels including leading-edge social media. S/he will be accountable for delivering on all communications needs for our Vancouver office, as well as supporting our provincial initiatives. S/he will also provide timely communications expertise, proactive support, and counsel to the leadership team and other management staff.
You will also play a part in supporting and growing our unique healing environment!
Are these healing environment aspects second nature to you?
- You are a model of health and well-being
- You continue to do your personal growth work and bring an integrated self to what you do
- You are passionate about the vision of Integrated Care
- You are highly self-responsible and accountable
- You have an advanced ability to hold others accountable
- You thrive in an organizational culture of transparency
- You know that work and joy are not mutually exclusive
- You are team-oriented and heart-centered
- In collaboration with the Director of Operations and other senior management, the successful candidate will develop, enhance, and implement InspireHealth's internal and external communications plans and strategies, encompassing all distribution channels including leading-edge social media
- Oversee the design, editing, and production of all communication initiatives and vehicles, including marketing materials, articles,news releases, direct mail letters, weekly updates, etc.
- As needed, write and/or edit copy and content for all communication vehicles
- Proactively identify opportunities to enhance the vision, initiatives, and profile of InspireHealth both internally amongst our members and externally within BC, and beyond.
- Manage content and develop leading-edge communication channels including our website, Twitter account, and other social media, ensuring quality control and consistency with InspireHealth branding
- Create opportunities for member input, feedback, and dialogue through surveys, focus groups, storytelling, etc
- Monitor and control project budgets aligned to departmental objectives
- In consultation with the Leadership Team, proactively initiates systemic improvements as needed
• Performs other related duties in keeping with the purpose and accountabilities of the job
• University degree (ideally in communication, journalism, English, creative writing, or marketing), or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Skills and Experience Required:
- Minimum four to six years of related experience
- Demonstrated excellence in a variety of media in writing, editing, and proofreading as well as in the conception and realization of communication vehicles
- Demonstrated excellence in the conceptualization and realization of communication plans and initiatives
- Able to craft communications vehicles in a timely manner and to deadline
- Capable of understanding the 'big picture' while paying meticulous attention to the details of the role; and the ability to understand and integrate all aspects of the organizational culture
- Demonstrated ability in working inside, outside, and beyond the box
- Demonstrated ability to adapt quickly and effectively to changing situations and conditions and to work under pressure and to tight timelines
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain harmonious and productive relationships with internal and external constituencies and colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to provide guidance and direction to others
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a team member and independently in a fast-paced work environment
- Highly self-responsible and accountable
- Joyous disposition even under stress
- Advanced ability to hold others accountable
- Not-for-profit experience is an asset
- Developed network of media contacts is an asset
- High level of oral and written communication, interpersonal, analytical, decision-making, and organizational skills
- You understand the relevance of storytelling to an organization and are able to incorporate classical storytelling and persuasion techniques into the materials you create
- Knowledge of the rules of English grammar and sentence structure, attention to detail, and the ability to edit and proofread. You enjoy debates over the correct placement of commas or the proper use of colons. You can spot a missing period from three desk lengths away
- You value clear, precise, communication and have a profound appreciation --one might say love- for words, writing, metaphor, wordplay, and storytelling
- Books about persuasion and communication theory are your bedtime reading
- Computer literacy including demonstrated advanced level skills with Windows and Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Competencies with HTML, web design, video production, and/or graphic design programs such as Illustrator and Photoshop, are an asset
At InspireHealth we have a 'living room' rather than a 'waiting room'. We believe in the principles of self-responsibility and self-care. Each morning we meditate together as a team. Creating connection with oneself and one another through meditation contributes to the creation of the Centre's 'healing environment' and is a wonderful way to start each day. InspireHealth is a unique and wonderful environment to work in.