As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders; devise specific communications materials and campaigns based on understanding of journalists' interests; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns; and counter misinformation that might interfere with our business and ability to serve our users. We're looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.
You will be responsible for communications and public relations in Canada relating to Google’s consumer products and platforms, including Google Maps and Google Search. You will also be responsible for communications and media relations reflecting Google’s interest and investment in Science Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) education in Canada. Working with the Canada PR team, you will create opportunities to showcase Google’s work in Canada, our innovative culture and community impact.
- Lead communications activities for Google’s products and issues, and respond to media and blogger inquiries.
- Collaborate with Google engineering, product, sales, policy and marketing teams to create compelling communications strategies that illustrate the functionality and key benefits of Google’s products and platforms as well as Google’s work in Canada.
- Develop close, productive relationships with journalists, bloggers and our key partners in the industry.
- Develop written materials, including story pitches, messaging guidelines, press releases, Q&As, social media posts, presentations and speeches.
- Train and provide advice to company officials for press conferences, media interviews and trade presentations; Partner with our marketing team to create memorable events and projects.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of professional experience in a business, media, agency or non-profit environment.
- Experience with consumer, marketing and news media landscapes.
- Experience as a company or brand spokesperson.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments, as well as ability to escalate appropriately.
- Ability to think, plan and execute on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to speak French fluently and idiomatically.
It's our job to help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders--and our own employees--about the benefits of Google's products, our distinctive company culture/values, and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. We are looking for quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious people to join the team. To succeed here, you'll need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, as well as enjoy pitching to all kinds of journalists, bloggers and commentators (we find it hard too!), or producing internal communications and events for our employees. Things happen quickly at Google and to get stuff done here you need to be an enthusiastic team player - a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and isn't frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things.