How would you like to be part of a passionate team working for a well-established environmental not-for-profit? Your efforts will advance British Columbians’ awareness of recycling, ultimately diverting consumer products from our landfills and waterways. The main focus of this role is to promote the ElectroRecycle Program, (small appliances and power tools recycling program). Check out ElectroRecycle.ca to learn more.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for a highly organized, self-motivated, well-rounded communications and events lead to take ElectroRecycle to the next level of consumer awareness. Could you be the person we’re looking for?
While the responsibilities of this position include meeting specific key performance indicators (KPIs), it also offers room to innovate, experiment and get creative. Our brand is ever-evolving and we are looking for ways to ramp up our public education efforts and improve how we get the word out about our program.
Reporting to the Program Manager, we are seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual who’s an expert at creating and executing compelling communications and events programs, and equally good at measuring and reporting on the programs’ successes. The successful candidate will be a responsible and reliable self-starter who is eager to explore all communications and events opportunities and loves to learn, test and improve.
The primary focus of this role will be to book, coordinate and attend public events throughout the spring and summer. Events take place across BC, primarily on weekends, and focus on public engagement. Examples of events include Khatsalano, Pride, Canada Day, Car Free Day, etc. The role will be responsible for identifying events, booking events, setting up and manning event booths, and educating the attending public about our recycling program. The role will be responsible for sharing event-related content on ElectroRecycle’s blog and social media channels, as well as creating wrap reports for the board and communications committee.
While events will be the primary focus of the role, this position will also have a hand at various aspects of ElectroRecycle’s marketing and communications strategy including research, budgeting, content creation, social media management, reporting, presenting, media relations, etc.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE
- Full responsibility to develop and implement events strategy, including booking events, managing vendors, organizing transportation, managing budgets, attending events, events set up and tear down, etc.
- Execute various aspects of annual marketing/communication strategy, with support from the Program Manager and Communications Manager
- Organizing, tracking and maintaining events budgets
- Managing blog and all social media channels including content creation, engagement, advertising and reporting
- Working efficiently with design to ensure you have the best visuals necessary to execute your work
- Creating and presenting monthly, quarterly and annual reports to determine ROI of activities and to ensure KPIs are being met
- Making informed recommendations for continuous improvement
- Supporting on any other departmental or organizational initiatives, as identified by the Program Manager or Communications Manager
- May be required to oversee other events ambassadors
- Frequent travel (especially on weekends) will be required throughout British Columbia, and possibly other parts of Canada, primarily in the late spring and throughout summer
QUALIFICATIONS & PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE
- 2-4 years’ experience in communications role with a breadth of experience, including: event management, budget management, reporting, working with media, managing social media channels, writing, creating content for multichannel marketing campaigns, etc.
- Experience creating roadshow-style events plans, as well as on-site management and attendance of events
- Experience as a brand ambassador an asset
- Experience developing content calendars, scheduling content, managing social media accounts, spotting patterns/trends, making recommendations, and reporting on results
- An effective written communicator across various media, including proofreading spelling and grammar, writing long form blogs, copywriting snappy social media posts, and interpreting numbers into written reports
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Collaborative team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Comfortable presenting and interacting with diverse groups including public crowds at events, as well as internal stakeholders including board and committee members
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and good at managing up – nothing slips through the cracks on your watch
- Enjoys a fast-paced environment with multiple projects on the go at any given time, and can handle competing priorities
- Independent and self-motivated
- A proactive self-starter who easily spots opportunities for continuous improvement and knows how to action on them
- A strong commitment to deadlines and following through on projects to the end
- Must have a valid driver’s licence
- Ability to travel extensively within the province