The Independent Contractors and Businesses Association of BC is a dynamic construction industry association of 1,200 contractors engaged in every aspect of the construction industry. ICBA not only advocates for the industry and its members, but it is also front and centre on free-enterprise issues in British Columbia. Low taxes and less regulation are government policies that help grow the construction industry – so ICBA stands up on these and many more issues.
With a staff of about 25, ICBA offers a wide range of member services including health benefit programs, training and apprenticeship programs, and networking events.
We are looking for an intelligent communications professional with a proven record of success in public affairs and business. The Communications Director reports directly to the President and works with the President, Vice President, the Training Manager, and ICBA’s insurance operation to lead development and implementation of internal and external communication strategies that include government relations, public relations, publications, social media and advertising.
This position requires flexibility and a wide-range of skills since the successful applicant may be drafting a speech and presentation on construction topics one day, a briefing note on government policies the next, and follow this up by helping create an advertisement for employee benefits packages. Experience working in business and government is important.
A competitive salary, full benefit package and training and career development opportunities are offered for the successful candidate.
- Five to seven years of communications experience with a portfolio of demonstrated initiative and success.
- Exceptional writing ability, including the ability to be creative and write in a variety of styles
- Experience levering new communication technologies including social media
- Demonstrated and excellent understanding of media relations practices;
- Excellent project and time management skills, with proven ability to keep on track with strategic goals while executing day-to-day responsibilities
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Desire to learn
- Lively, curious and creative mind
- Confidence and professional polish
- Knowledge of business issues and public policy development