Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
DEPARTMENT: Office of the CAO & Police
STATUS: Auxiliary (1 yr. Maternity Leave)
NO. OF POSITIONS: One
UNION: CUPE, local 387
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hours/week (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
DEADLINE: February 27, 2015
Situated in the centre of Metro Vancouver, we deliver a broad spectrum of services to a city of 65,000 residents. New Westminster enjoys a reputation for innovation, civic leadership and excellent employee relations.
We are looking for a high energy individual to perform communications and public relations work involved in the planning, development and implementation of corporate communications strategies, policies and initiatives. You will work half-time at City Hall with the Communications team, led by the Manager, Communications & Economic Development, to maintain and regulate the municipal website and the City’s social media outreach tools and to ensure the effectiveness of the City’s external and internal communications activities including: public consultation programs; community and media relations; and the production of information and promotion material. You will also work half-time at the Police Department with the responsibility of maintaining the public website and social media pages; coordinating and ensuring effectiveness of all promotional campaigns for department events and initiatives with an emphasis on recruitment; maintaining branding consistency; producing multi-media materials; working with the media relations officer to facilitate media communications; and initiating internal communications through the maintenance of the department intranet.
- Degree or diploma in communications or a related discipline supplemented by at least 3 - 5 years of experience, preferably in a municipal environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques involved in public relations, advertising and education programs, especially as they relate to government agencies and organizations.
- Considerable knowledge of desktop publishing and website management principles as well as writing, graphic arts, photography and print production best practices.
- Considerable experience with social media and marketing for an organization/corporation.
- Extensive knowledge and work experience using Adobe Creative Suite with an emphasis on InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Ability to assist in the planning, development, coordination, implementation and evaluation of promotion, education and public relations initiatives, programs and events. * Excellent oral communication, superior writing and editing skills.
- Commitment to high standards of customer service with a wide variety of external and internal contacts.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with minimal supervision, showing initiative and creativity in public engagement techniques.
- Valid BC Driver’s License.
- The successful candidate is required to successfully pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.